S.E. MN Big Bird!

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
notsure

S.E. MN Big Bird!

Postby notsure » April 27th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Until yesterday (4/26), the weather in MN has been awful. I managed to purchase a Season B tag which meant I would be in the woods starting on April 22nd. Well, the 22nd came, the weather stunk, I wanted to stay in bed....and I ended up bagging the gobbler pictured below! This guy came out with 26 other birds, including 14 jakes and at least 10 hens. He ended up taking a hen back into the woods around 7:15 A.M. so I was thinking game over. Around 7:45 AM I'm sitting in my blind talking to 4 hens when a gobbler sounds off close to my left. I slowly looked out the window and there he was, 40 yards away and making a slow but steady bee-line for the single hen decoy I placed 20 yards from my setup in a cut corn field. Well, having never mastered the mouth call, I somehow worked my box call one handed, which stopped him long enough to permit a clean shot at around 25 yards. I knew this bird was special the moment I picked it up! Old and big, he weighed 25 Lb, 4 oz. and sported 1 3/8", 1 1/2" spurs. The beard was fairly wide and just under 10" in length. I killed a similar bird last year on an adjoining property and am fairly certain this guy was his brother. I consider myself blessed to have scored two great birds in consecutive years and couldn't be happier with the way this season turned out, crappy weather and all!
Attachments
Gobbler Spurs 2013.jpg
Gobbler Spurs 2013.jpg (85.47 KiB) Viewed 463 times
2013 Gobbler.jpg
2013 Gobbler.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 463 times

DonMcJr

Re: S.E. MN Big Bird!

Postby DonMcJr » April 28th, 2013, 12:09 am

Congrats Very Nice Tom! They really like that bad weather a lot more than we do and love fields in the bad weather! I got a Tom almost the same as your's in the same conditions the 25th in Michigan cept the beard was 11 1/8 and Spurs were a tad smaller at 1 1/4 and 1 1/8...

Pics of my bird are in the post below yours. Congrats again!

turkey junky

Re: S.E. MN Big Bird!

Postby turkey junky » April 30th, 2013, 12:37 pm

very nice bird notsure!!! i also tagged a SE MN gobbler but he would run far far away from you big daddy tom if they were in the same field at the same time my tom was only a 2 yr old... i have only see 1 or 2 other sets of spurs down in SE MN with spurs with points like them most the 3+ birds i see on the ground have nicked up or broke or blunted spurs not the sharp needle like points on ur bird... i assume due to the rocky steep hard terrain the land in/on once they pitch out of the tree each day & or when they scratch for food in the rocky soil???

congrats & hope your season is not over being so close to WI & its liberal season & high turkey populations you can just hope the border & try ur luck again on the WI side of things i know its not MN but what can we do with only 5 days to hunt & a 1 bird limit!!!???

nice stud bird man happy safe hunting

check out my MN bird on the MN thread & or team 1 thread if you want??? i hunt the old unit 349 about what area u in in SE MN love the coulee big hill & oak ridge type country with its trout streams & turkey bluffs hard to beat that part of the state for beauty & turkey hunting & trout fishing

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!