Snowy April hunt

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Goblrgtr

Snowy April hunt

Postby Goblrgtr » April 20th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Well our weather in Iowa has been rain, wind and now snow. Four inches to be exact. I had done my pre-season scouting and knew where the birds were roosting and pitch down to. So my plan for the morning was to get as close to their pitch down area as i could, dependent on how crunchy the snow would be. Well that plan went out the window when I overslept and didn't get to my hunting area until it was almost light out. But determined to make the most of my opening morning i carried on. As luck would have it, as I was walking in my crunching in the snow caused a Tom to gobble and he was within a hundred yards. I quick scrambled for cover over a bank where a small creek ran between the ridge the Tom was on and myself. I had doubts the Tom would come in, fearing he had seen me or would get hung up at the small creek if he did decide to work. I sat there motionless and quiet for a few moments and then the Tom gobbled again, I could see him on the limb and he wasn't more than 125 yards away. I gave a few soft tree yelps and the Tom pitched down. I gave another series of yelps and he gobbled back. Now was the time to give him the silent treatment and hope the small bend in the creek where I was hiding would be enough to hide me and keep him guessing where this hen is at he's looking for. After a couple of minutes I thought I could faintly here him spitting and drumming and then the faint sounds of his crunching footsteps in the snow. The sights of my gun were trained on the first opening I had through the brush at the bend in the creek twenty yards away. The tom soon appeared in my line of sight and broke out of strut when the lonesome hen he was looking for wasn't there and I squeezed the trigger, dropping him in his tracks. Never hunted turkeys in the snow and 34 degrees before but love was still in the air for that big boy thankfully. Sorry for the bad picture but was hunting by myself and just took a quick picture with my cell. Best of luck to all this season!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 646 times

kygobbler

Re: Snowy April hunt

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Congrats on a fine bird.

I cant blame you on oversleeping with having 4" of snow and 34 degrees. It looks more like fall hunting than spring. :D
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 20th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I would the hunter would have some advantage seeing turkeys against a white background. Not that I want to hunt in snow. We had a few flurries here in NE Indiana yesterday.
Congrats on the gobbler and for hanging in there.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2013, 9:25 am

Great story and congratn your success.

Late or not ,,,never give up ,,,,GOOD JOB FELLER !

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 26th, 2013, 2:14 pm

posted this picture in decision time but this was Saturday morning, April 20th in Southern Iowa, not a patch of snow in sight

Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!