2008 Hunt Photos Here!

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
bandit80

RE: 2008 Hunt Photos Here!

Postby bandit80 » May 10th, 2008, 7:06 am

Haven't posted in this new forumn, job, kids, etc.  have kept me away.  Anywho, I finally go lucky here in Kansas this morning.  I've called in 2 for my brother, killed one, missed one, but haven't been able to get in the right place for myself. 

Only been hunting weekend days here and there, but have watched birds pitch down out of a wood lot surrounded by drainage ditches and work there way down one particular ridge through the fields.  Finally decided to go to where they had been going prior to flydown.  Got setup on the backside of a pushup terrace, lying flat on my belly with 15" tal grass in front of my face.  Parted the grass just enough to see, and waited.  This bird finally worked his way down the ridge close enough for a shot.  Several birds in the field, and two other gobblers.  Shot, and he did a backflip.  Started flopping, and made it to his feet before I could get to him.  Shot again as he was running, missed/too far away, and he took off flying.  He curved down to the timber, and looked a WWII plane going down.  Heard a loud smack, and went running down to where I last saw him enter the timber.  Found him crouching by the base of a tree, and finished him off with a third shot.  Looked up on the tree, and it looked as if he flew smack into the tree!!  Wasn't exactly textbook, but he is in the bag. 

1 1/8 and 7/8 inch spurs, one was broken off.  10 1/2" beard and 22 lbs. 

One tag left, and will try to take that one with my bow.  Yes, I am crazy. 

JPH

Postby JPH » May 11th, 2008, 5:55 am

Great stuff guys! Bandit, it's good to hear from you. Glad you're doing well.

My season ended on a very high note yesterday. After a fruitless run and gun session, I set up in a timber clearing for a mid-morning calling set. This gobbler started answering from several hundred yards away and gobbled all the way in. Once in the clearing, he spit and drummed for me for five minutes. He did a complete 360 around my decoy before I took him at 10 steps. I'm still trying to get my heart rate down to normal.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 11th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Great job Joe! A nicely thought out picture as well.

Good to know that a classic hunt still unfolds now and then after all of the misery and curveballs that turkeys pitch at us.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

bandit80

Postby bandit80 » May 12th, 2008, 4:58 am

Thanks JPH. 

That is a great picture.  Looks like he has a paint brush hanging off his chest.  Those are the hunts that we all want. 

My season has been trying, called two in for my brother early in the season, he got one of them, and missed the second.  Other than that, it has been gobblers more interested in other gobblers than my calling.  Seems as though I have seen more groups of toms and spring flocks this year than any other year. 

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 12th, 2008, 7:41 am

i ended my season saturday morning. i was late getting in and i knew for sure that i would bust the hen that always roosted in the area that i was going to. it was 6:45 and as soon as i closed the truck door, 2 birds gobbled. off i went, trying to sneak in, as soon as i got to my spot, sure enough, the hen flew off the roost right toward the 2 gobblers. as soon as she did, another bird gobbled to my right. i sat down as quick as as could not wanting to be detected, then he gobbled again, i knew then that i was safe..he didn't see me. 1 soft tree yelp and he answered back. he flew straight down towards me at about 60 yards. went straight to strutt'n, spit'n and drum'n...he came in on a line but directly to my right side while i was facing to the left at an angle. this bird got within 10 yards of me in open woods..came out of strut looking for the hen, then he proceeded to my left...back into strut, went behind a big pine, gun went up and closed the deal at 8 yards...season over...what a great season but yet a sad one.
it's a long time till next year...can't wait.  

Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 12th, 2008, 7:51 am

19 lbs.,10-1/4" beard, 7/8" spurs

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 12th, 2008, 7:52 am

another pic

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

try again..

bandit80

Postby bandit80 » May 12th, 2008, 9:20 am

You gotta love those up close and personal encounters.  Nice bird.

JPH

Postby JPH » May 12th, 2008, 11:40 am

Congratulations! You are right, it's a long time until next season. That is why I try to play those memories over and over in my head to keep them fresh.

BTW, whay can't I seem to post a large photo like that?

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!