Fawn pic

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
BluMtnGobbler

Fawn pic

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 11th, 2011, 2:08 pm

On the last day ofthespring season I didn't see any birds but I did stumble across this fawn. The pic might not be real good was taken with my cell.

kygobbler

RE: Fawn pic

Postby kygobbler » March 11th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the fawn or is the tree actually on it? If your cell phone is like mine, to get a pic. like that I would have to be right on top of it. I just think its odd for that fawn to let you get that close to it.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 12th, 2011, 12:59 am

As far as I know the fawn was ok. The tree wasn't on it,it was laying under it. I got as closeas 3 feet of it and it didn't even move its eyes. So I left it alone and came back afew hours later but it was gone.
Brian

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 12th, 2011, 1:40 am

They do that.Thats there way of staying camoed when they are that young.Judging by the picture and the way it acted probably not more than a week or two old.When did you take the pic.I'm geussing late may to mid june.
I've walked up on several of em like that.Sorry to say the tractor has claimed a few too.They just will not move and you can't see em.Coyotes make snacks out of em for this reason to.The ole doe trys to keep em scent free but I guess that doesn't help all the time.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 12th, 2011, 3:14 am

That's a great picture BluMtn, it reminds of a little one I saw last summer. Back in early July of last year I was doing a little mowing and weed eating around the cattle chute by the barn. I walked over to the gate and set the weed eater down on the ground to get a good handle to crank it. I started smacking weeds around everywhere and I noticed something move in the chute. Not knowing what it was I kept the weed eater running but kept it pointed to the side while I investigated further. Once I peered in the chute I saw a little spotted fawn jump up and leap through the gaps in the chute. I could tell he was pretty green because he was still a little wobbly when he took off, nothing more than legs really but he (or she) sure was a cute little fella. I quickly backed out because I didn't want to frighten the little booger any more than I had already done, so I saved the weed eating for the next afternoon. By then the doe had come back to retrieve the little one and I was able to tidy up the farm a little bit. It was very neat to get to see something like that[;)]
Brian

retranger

Postby retranger » March 12th, 2011, 3:36 am

Them little fellows mind better than a lot of kids. Momma puts it there and tells it to stay till she returns. I have several pics of them with my cell phone and your right Kygobbler I was right on top of them. They are scent free till they get a little older. Like SpitnDrum says many fall prey to mowers, more to them than coyotes.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » March 15th, 2011, 5:55 am

That's a great pic.  I haven't been lucky enough to stumble across one yet in the wild.  The pic below 'the stand off' was taken by my brother in Westlake OH behind his home.  One of my favorites.

I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 15th, 2011, 4:27 pm

lol!!!The fox squirrel is bigger than the fawn.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!