From Iowa

doublegobble

From Iowa

Postby doublegobble » April 27th, 2008, 3:04 am

2nd season was a bust for me. First day heard 3 to 4 gobblers but were hened up and not comitting. Tried to make something happen and "poof" they were gone. 2nd and 3rd day not even a gobble let alone see any. Maybe 4th season will be better.

JPH

RE: From Iowa

Postby JPH » May 12th, 2008, 11:48 am

I did manage to fill both of my Iowa tags (1st and 4th) but is was a lot of work. I guided for 5 hunts and was unable to get one killed that way. One guy missed (4 times on two birds [:@]) and my son passed on a marginal shot, but the others were total zeros. 

I chalk it up to a combination of factors. One, I think numbers are down slightly. Two, the weather sucked. And three, that's the way it goes.

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » June 20th, 2008, 6:57 am

Any of you have luck 4th season - I hunted Stephens State Forest 4th season - birds were very vocal and numerous (in spite of the bobcat problem) - even though vocal they were very stubborn - I talked to my tom -working him for 5 hours - before he finally came into sight and met my new muzzloader.... It was a strange season in Iowa ... how are you doing with the flooding?

JPH

Postby JPH » June 20th, 2008, 10:58 am

As my pervious post implied, Iowa was tough this year (No. Missouri was even tougher). All of my buddies have siad the same thing. The guys who filled their 4th season tags really had to work at it.

I don't want to think about what the flooding might have done the survival of this years hatch.

Return to Iowa