Illinois

ilhunter

Re: Illinois

Postby ilhunter » April 18th, 2013, 7:23 am

With work and this weather I havent been able to listen in the mornings before work, I hope to check my camera and try to roost one Friday night before my hunt. Hopefully I get some good news on my camera. A week a ago I had one nice strutter with 6 hens hanging around but havent heard or seen them since, they gotta be close.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 18th, 2013, 8:11 am

Lots of gobbling on the roost but then silence once the turkeys hit the ground. Two gobblers with 8 hens in one group. Both were strutting. In another group there were two long beards and 3 hens. Hope to come back to these observations next year and check the timeline. :D

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 18th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Thats good to hear, hopefully here in the cental part of the state they are more active after this monsoon passes. I'll let you know how this weekend goes, keep us updated on the bird activity.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 19th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Hens have split off gobblers. Saw 6 hens at 6 different locations today. One gobbler was out running around. Rained 3 inches last night and it has turned cold; 40 degrees and may get into 30's tonight.

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Long Beards are running the fields mid morning looking for receptive hens. Jakes are running together and hens are nesting. I am seeing a lot of single hens. There has been a lot of rain here so I hope this does not negatively affect hatch. We will see in about 28 days or around May 25. :D

ilhunter

Postby ilhunter » April 29th, 2013, 8:18 am

ive been noticing the same thing on hens, they are nesting, aciidentally kicked one up while mushrooming, she has at least 12 eggs, have to make sure i stay away from that area. Gobblers were tuff up her this weekend. U could call to them and they would come to within about 100 yards and hang up and then go about there business. Tried it with and without decoys and got same results.

ads1

Postby ads1 » May 1st, 2013, 1:12 am

While out hunting Morel Mushrooms this morning I saw two nested hen turkeys. Also saw some mushrooms.
Attachments
Morel.Mushroons.jpg
Morel.Mushroons.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 30th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Three months have passed since my last post. We had lots of rain in the spring and now in August it is extremely dry. There are lots of turkey poults that range in size from three forths grown to quail size. The turkeys are out in the soybean fields and many times you can only see their heads sticking up in the fields. Aboult 30 days before bow season and 45 days before gun season. Happy, Happy, Happy! :D

Previous

Return to Illinois