Turkeys in Lukin Township

ads1

Turkeys in Lukin Township

Postby ads1 » March 18th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I've noticed that our turkeys are moving around this past week. One group of 30 moved over 1/2 mile to another wood area of approximately 60 acres. Another group of 60 birds have moved into the area vacated by the first group. And then the birds that usually roost in my honey hole have disappeared. Had 2 long beards on a trail cam on 3/10/14 at 6:58 am. That's the last I seen these birds. The good news is that I can still hunt these birds on the new property, but I may not get so intense on scouting until the week before season starts. Well that's not quite right, I will drives the roads and scout from the car. :D

ads1

Re: Turkeys in Lukin Township

Postby ads1 » March 23rd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Saw a big one out struttin in a cornfield today. :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 10th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Turkeys are still grouped together here. Toms are strutting and jakes are sparring, but no breeding activity. One group of 60 has 5 strutter, 1 dominant tom and 5 jakes. They are hard to hunt because after fly down they take off. Maybe the cold weather has delayed breeding activity.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » April 12th, 2014, 7:59 am

yep, i hear ya
around here some mornings they gobble, some days nothing. and most places i have scouted they are still in pretty large flocks
next week, north zone opener, might be tough. after high of 80 today, sunday-monday cold front comes through with tstorms, then big cool off with highs in low 50s, lows in 30s and windy
not my favorite way to hunt, but looks like for mondays opener i might have to pop up a blind along a field and wait out the tstorms/rain :(

Return to Illinois