Listening post

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
MAKEemQUIVER

Re: Listening post

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 23rd, 2012, 11:37 pm

dewey wrote:So this morning I am getting my two year old son out of the car to go to his daycare when I hear a gobble. I look around but don't see anything so I assume it is freeway noise, freeway is about 200 yards away. Then as I got the little man out I hear another gobble. After this one I know it is a gobbler somewhere. So I am carrying the little man in and I look over and there is a jake walking across the parking lot and gobbling.

Little man immediately says "turkey" I then say what do we do to turkeys he then says "shoot them!". That was a great way to start the day.

Dewey

Thats awesome!!

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 24th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Too funny!! Must be nice to have lots of gobbies around. Our season started a week ago and I haven't :evil: heard or seen one
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 24th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I did horse farm work most of the day today between heavy storms. I'll be out there listening at dawn tomorrow morning. It was storming hard from late afternoon until about 9:30 tonight, so hopefully they'll have a lot to say in the morning.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 25th, 2012, 12:15 pm

I too heard several birds last saturday morning . A couple were old sounding gobblers . Lots of hens yelping and jakes trying to gobble .
It's already greener than what we would normally have at the beginning of season . I suspect it'll cause a lot of hunters to throw in the towel .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 25th, 2012, 1:23 pm

I heard no gobbles this morning. It was still rainy after a very stormy night and that may have kept them quiet. I bumped a gobbler off the limb on the highest ridge on the property on my way back out around 9. He flew towards a creek bottom I intend to hunt this Spring, so I left it alone. I stopped by the barn to talk with the woman who'd recently started renting the cabin below the house. She was doing weekend chores while the farm owner is off fox hunting.

She is also new to living in the country. I tried not to laugh out loud when she asked me what I could tell her about a great big bird she saw walking through the woods a few days ago that was making the strangest sound she'd ever heard. :? When she moved to get a better look, it ran away faster than anything she's ever seen run through the woods ( headed back towards that same creek bottom). I told her that was a turkey I'd be hunting in a few weeks and not to be surprised if she heard a shotgun blast one morning from the lower creek bottom. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 25th, 2012, 2:31 pm

It wouldn't suprize me if she asked to join you some morming to learn more about that big bird she seen, it sounds like she is interested in then :) . I bet that won't be the only time she asks you questions about them. :lol: . That is a golden opportunity to introduce a person to the turkey world and would sure help in your finding out where and what they are doing in that area.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » March 25th, 2012, 8:58 pm

was in the back yard today and thunder sounded, heard a gobble. went in and got a call and made a few yelps. he gobbled again, got him to gobble about 12 times. it started pouring rain then and i didn't hear him anymore. felt good but season doesn't start until april 15. already senn some more strutting. IN NC
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 26th, 2012, 6:15 am

That's cool Clyde. Is that a bird you can hunt? I've been seeing quite a lot of strutting gobblers around. Sadly, most are in places I can't hunt. It will only mean more turkeys for the future though.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » March 27th, 2012, 5:47 pm

can hunt in the field. but the turkeys mostly stay in the woods and fields behind this field. can't hunt there since the land was sold several years back.that land goes down to the river.
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 27th, 2012, 10:06 pm

I'm going out to the ridge to listen tomorrow morning before work. It will be colder than it has been, though stable weather might get 'em going.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion