RECOIL PAD FOR MOSSBERG 535!!!!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

RECOIL PAD FOR MOSSBERG 535!!!!!

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 27th, 2012, 1:14 am

I HAVE A MOSSBERG 535 CAMO SYNTHETIC! KICKS LIKE A MULE AND I NEED AN AFTERMARKET RECOIL PAD! I HAVE MEASURED MY STOCK FOR A PAD BUT HAVEN'T FOUND AN AFTER MARKET WITH THE EXACT MEASUREMENTS MATCH! :( DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SLIP ON OR SCREW IN AFTERMARKET RECOIL PAD FITS THE MOSSBERG 535 SYNTHETIC CAMO THE BEST :?:!?!?!?!? :?: ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! :!:
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

shaman

Re: RECOIL PAD FOR MOSSBERG 535!!!!!

Postby shaman » February 27th, 2012, 8:12 am

I've got a bunch of questions:

1) Are you sure the shotgun fits you? A stock that is too long or too short will pound the snot out of you. Adding a recoil pad may make it worse. A pad does very little improvement compared to having a properly fitted shotgun.

2) What load are you using? If you're using a 3.5 inch heavy shot load, think about taking a step down to 3". It's more than enough to take a gobbler. Just going to a slightly lighter load will have a remarkable difference. I hunt with a 2oz load. My son hunts with a 1 3/4 oz out of the same model shotgun-- big change in recoil.

3) Are you using either a ported barrel or a ported choke? A ported choke or barrel can help quite a bit. If you aren't using one already, think about switching. I have a ported barrel on my 500. It makes an obvious difference.

4) If you're looking for the ultimate in recoil suppression, Forget the pad. Check out the Compstock. It's about $120, but it will let you shoot anything you want at the gobs and not pay the price in recoil.
Last edited by shaman on February 28th, 2012, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 27th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Good points, Shaman.

A member here, Clark Bush aka allaboutshooting is another resource you can ask.

ajkremer22

Postby ajkremer22 » March 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

stankyolgobbler wrote:I HAVE A MOSSBERG 535 CAMO SYNTHETIC! KICKS LIKE A MULE AND I NEED AN AFTERMARKET RECOIL PAD! I HAVE MEASURED MY STOCK FOR A PAD BUT HAVEN'T FOUND AN AFTER MARKET WITH THE EXACT MEASUREMENTS MATCH! :( DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SLIP ON OR SCREW IN AFTERMARKET RECOIL PAD FITS THE MOSSBERG 535 SYNTHETIC CAMO THE BEST :?:!?!?!?!? :?: ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! :!:

Stanky........I hear you on that. A buddy of mine has the same gun and we shot varoius kinds of 3.5" loads out of it and it shook my brain to the core. It was almost no fun to shoot. Almost. If you find a recoil pad for it let me know because my buddy needs the same thing for his gun.

Thanks
Andy

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 3rd, 2012, 7:52 am

For you newer members, Clark Bush is the resident shotgun and shooting expert around here, his forum name is Allaboutshooting. He and his wife, Doris are both national still target shooting champions.

I recommend going to his website and ordering the "Shooters Friend"-

http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... 88bbab834e

Clark developed this recoil pad with a shock absorbing silicone that companies use for insoles in shoes. It will fit virtually any shotgun stock and works better than any recoil pad I have ever used. I liked it so well I bought one for my father and one for my friend. It is his number #1 selling item, and at $17.95, is about half the cost of the Limbsaver version or other commercial offerings. Clark is a real gentleman, great to deal with and it will be on your doorstep in a couple days.

Some additional advice: Posts like this are best addressed in the "Shooting" forum where Clark and other gun experts will see them faster. Get one, you won't regret it. Have a great spring!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » March 6th, 2012, 8:16 pm

preciate it guys! I have since found a Limbsaver pad. I had to grind a little on the plate for a solid fit, but it did just fine. In comparison to the stock pad, it's a lifesaver. It still kicks pretty good but that's why I have it for a sport that incorporates so much adrenaline....so I can use a big boy toy to do the talkin' and not let it ruin my hunt once it's fired. I shoot a 20" barrel which I'm sure adds a little to the kick but I shoot a 3 1/2" shell because they don't make a 4".....plain and simple.

@ajkremer22

The Limbsaver for the Mossy 535 is part #10200. Look it up!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

tracebusta39

Postby tracebusta39 » March 7th, 2012, 10:35 pm

When I had my 835 thumbhole, I purchased the "shooter friend" from Clark at allaboutshooting, it is the best recoil pad I have ever seen...highly recommended

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion