Washington State, Easterns

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
bbcustomboxcalls

Washington State, Easterns

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » September 17th, 2011, 3:46 pm

I have read that there are Eastern turkeys in western Washington. My son and I would like to go there and do some hunting next spring.
Is anyone familiar with the western Washington area able to give us a general area to start?

Thanks, Bill

turkey junky

Re: Washington State, Easterns

Postby turkey junky » September 29th, 2011, 12:41 pm

best i could say is go to the washington state game & fish web site & look at eastern turkey populations & ranges in washington state & then find a peace of public land "IM A D.I.Y. GUY" then after you do both of them call a wildlife biologist for the given area you want 2 hunt & pick there brain a little on wear are the hot spots wear are there overlooked areas that hold birds & so on!!! but i have to say that going out WEST for a EASTERN sub species wild turkey is like going out EAST for a ELK they do have them but its not what 99% go out west/east for... there are tons & tons or merriams rios & merriams/rio hybrids in the western 2 3rds of the state the easterns are in the extream SW of the state i beleave??? any way my advice is go for a merriams or rio or hybrid & you will have a fun trip with birds in the bag... go for easterns & u mite have 2 go on private land pay hunt & mite not get a eastern from out west i mean there are way way less of them EASTERNS out WEST then there is in the EASTERN states of the USA my friend...

dewey

Postby dewey » September 29th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I was unaware that WA had 3 of the turkey species. By looking at the link to a NWTF map it show Eastern turkeys in SW WA, here is the link.

http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_full.jpg

Also the article from M&J outdoors talks about the Eastern turkeys in WAS.

http://www.mjoutdoors.com/articles/turk ... mini-slam/

Here is another article and it looks like it is full of tips from readers as well.

http://www.huntwashingtonstate.com/hws/Birds/turkey.htm

Here is another forum, Hunting Washington.com, and this thread talks about hunting Eastern turkeys in SW WA.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index ... ic=46064.0

Also like TJ said talk to the wildlife officials in that area to help you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » September 29th, 2011, 8:35 pm

turkey junky wrote:best i could say is go to the washington state game & fish web site & look at eastern turkey populations & ranges in washington state & then find a peace of public land "IM A D.I.Y. GUY" then after you do both of them call a wildlife biologist for the given area you want 2 hunt & pick there brain a little on wear are the hot spots wear are there overlooked areas that hold birds & so on!!! but i have to say that going out WEST for a EASTERN sub species wild turkey is like going out EAST for a ELK they do have them but its not what 99% go out west/east for... there are tons & tons or merriams rios & merriams/rio hybrids in the western 2 3rds of the state the easterns are in the extream SW of the state i beleave??? any way my advice is go for a merriams or rio or hybrid & you will have a fun trip with birds in the bag... go for easterns & u mite have 2 go on private land pay hunt & mite not get a eastern from out west i mean there are way way less of them EASTERNS out WEST then there is in the EASTERN states of the USA my friend...

sorry i ment the eastern 2/3rds of washington state has tons & tons of merriams & rios & hybrids of the 2 sub species... easterns are in the extream SW of the state...

bbcustomboxcalls

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » October 20th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I did check with the wildlife biologists in the SW region and their comments weren't very encouraging about the Eastern turkey populations.

Bill

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion