Safety

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

Safety

Postby grunt_doc » April 18th, 2008, 5:10 am

OK, OK, I know that (most of) you are grown adults, and that I am NOT your mother....but I can't help it.  Put together a small 1st aid kit and throw it in your vest/pack/pocket.  If you put together a good one, it will have everything you might need and won't take up much space.  It's usually the last thing you think about, but the 1st thing you wish you had.  I don't know squat about hunting turkeys, but I do kow about this...
Just some thoughts.

Doc

JPH

RE: Safety

Postby JPH » April 18th, 2008, 11:08 am

Intreasting post. What are your suggestions for items in the pack?

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 18th, 2008, 11:48 am

I wouldn't go out and spend big bucks on one of those high speed tactical kits.  All you really need are the basics.  Multi-taskers.  I would pick up 1 or 2 rolls of compressed gauze.  It's a pretty big roll shrink wrapped into a 2 inch brick.  A cravat (triangle bandage) can be used for several different things.  Fill the rest with stuff like some tape, band-aids, tweezers, ect.  Basic Boy Scout stuff.  For you "seasonned" hunters (spoken with respect, of course) some up to date meds like nitro pills or inhalers would be a good idea if you use them. 

I could go on for hours, but I think that covers the basics.  The most important thing in my opinion is knowledge.  Learn what to do.  If you hunt in pairs, then you might be the one injured.  If you hunt alone you WILL be the one injured.  Nothing to freak out about though.  Hope that helps,

Doc

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 18th, 2008, 11:49 am

JPH,

Almost forgot...I use a NEF 10 GA too.  I love it, my shoulder hates it!

Doc

jpb

Postby jpb » April 18th, 2008, 11:58 am

grunt..Thats a great reminder for the Nitro and inhalers..I am heading out to see a friend one last time tonight.49 years old.Heart atack.Its amazing what you take for granted every day.Stay safe everyone this season.
Joe

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 19th, 2008, 7:49 pm

I had my son out this afternoon for hunt/scout.  We went to a different  DNR area that I thought might have a few birds.  I thought I heard a far off gobble.  We moved to a higher position and crow called, nothing.  I told my son we would return to plan A when we heard the gobble again, closer.  It was moving at a 45 degree angle in our direction so we moved to intercept it.  One more gobble real close but off to our right.  We turned to face that direction at our set up.  It was not long before I spotted movement.  Another hunter and his son were using a gobble call.  We did not see any turkey sign but lots of squirll sign for this fall.  I told my son that just because it gobbles you can't shoot it LOL
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 24th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Here is an example of what I was talking about.  1st picture I've tries to post, so here goes....bottom row: a "sinch-tight" (it's a dressing with the ace wrap attached to it), some non-stick pads, forseps, and the bag.  middle: wide gauze, a rescue whistle, and some alcohol pads.  top row: a 4" bandage, 2" gauze.  It all fits in the bag with room to spare and only came out to 15oz on the kitchen scale.  Like I said, it's usually the last thing you think about, but....

Doc

JPH

Postby JPH » April 25th, 2008, 2:51 am

Nice work Grunt. I like the fact that it is not filled with a lot of fluff. Bleeding control and more bleeding control.

I for the sake of argument, I would offer a few amendmants. Loose the forceps (least someone try to clamp something that they should not). Add a couple pair of medical gloves, a few feet of plastic cling wrap (for sucking chest wounds, road rash or burns), trauma sheers, and some blaze orange cloth. If you hunt with someone with a medical condition consider nitro, glucose, or an inhalor as needed. And above all, a cell phone!

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 25th, 2008, 3:33 am

You should see MY kit.....I think I have enough to treat a whole flock of hunters.  I just bring along my issued med bag.  it's too big and it's too heavy, but i'm used to the weight and I already know where everything is. 

Like I said in my origional post, you could have a fold up hospital in your vest, but unless you know what to do, it's useless.  grab a book, sign up for a class, stop by a fire dept and ask some questions.

Doc

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion