NEW YORK OPENER

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

NEW YORK OPENER

Postby grizzly » April 29th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Well it's only 24 hours to the first day of turkey season here in n.y. . been waiting since closeing day last fall. i have seen alot of birds this spring . have been wondering what the rest of you n.y. hunters think of makeing a longer closing time say a hour before sunset i know other states do it i myself are of two minds on the subject. let you know how things go.

Juggaloclownz187

RE: NEW YORK OPENER

Postby Juggaloclownz187 » April 30th, 2008, 1:26 am

Your not kidding, i was out scouting lastnight and saw a flock of 8 turkeys, and there were 5 gobblers in it. I dont think i have ever seen any birds half that big!! They were monsters!!

Well needless to say that made up my mind where i will hunt tomorow. Wasnt sure if i should drive that far opening day or not, but i guess its worth it now! Goodluck and enjoy the frost in the AM! [;)]

OptimO

Postby OptimO » April 30th, 2008, 1:39 am

Its going to be a cold one in the morning guys... wear it all tomorrow!!  I just got back from the woods,  heard a gobbler thats in a lot of trouble tomorrow.  I'm going to take my buddy out and try to help him harvest his first longbeard early and then scoot over to another piece of property and try to tag one myself.  No matter what happens its sure to be exciting, we're going to have some fun.  I hope everybody else has fun tomorrow as well and remember to be extra careful tomorrow because opening day can be dangerous if your not.  GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!
SCOUT HARD... HUNT HARDER

My YouTube Channel>> http://www.youtube.com/user/OptimONY?feature=mhum

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 30th, 2008, 3:44 am

OK...I got my calls ready, my gun set, vest loaded, everything packed and ready.  All I need is....SOME TURKEYS!  All I've found so far is one "J-terd" in the middle of the road.  That's it.  I haven't even heard any.  The ones I have seen are on private land that I can't get permission to hunt.  I KNOW there are turkeys here.  I've been yelling at their tracks all deer season.  I guess I have no choice to go in tomorrow and see what happens.  It looks like you guys are better off.

Doc

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 30th, 2008, 7:52 am

I will be out there tomorrow morning. Unfortuantely I will be in unfarmiliar territory but I am forced to. I am in Buffalo for college and I have to stay up here til sat to finish classes and then my part time job. But a buddy from school has some land about 20 minutes away that i can hunt. I went there last nite and looked around. Not super promising but a heck of alot better than my apartment. But starting sunday morning I will be after them hard at home. (Chautauqua County).  I am taking my grandfather out. He has never taken a bird and he hasnt been able to hunt with me the last few years becuase he was taking care of my grandmother who was ill. She passed away in march.... So needless to say we this year will be a memorable one I hope. It would mean more than anything to call in a bird for the person that introduced me to the outdoors. Well I will be checking this site tomorrow looking for silly grins!! Hopefully mine will here too. Good luck and wish a little my way aslo.  Gotta love NY hunting!!!!!!

Juggaloclownz187

Postby Juggaloclownz187 » May 1st, 2008, 11:51 am

Take no one got ne today? Me either... I got there about 25 mintues too late and they all were out of my spot and allready in the adjacent field on private land... Oh well tomorow morning ill be there earlier then huh! Maybee ill get the chance to cock block em tomorow LOL

Hey NYsuper sorry to hear about your gma. Thats noble of you to take your gpa out and call for him! Good luck buddy :-)

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 1st, 2008, 12:26 pm

Had no luck this morning. all i managed to call in were two jakes o well it was great just being in the woods.

hatch

Postby hatch » May 1st, 2008, 12:46 pm

yea, I was talking to some ole boys but they went in the opposite direction with their hens, later I got a hen all fired up but she was a loner.  It was a nice day to be out there anyway.

Hatch

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » May 1st, 2008, 1:57 pm

Hatch- thanks I appreciate ur words.

I went out this mornin and got skunked! Like I said before I was hunting unknown territory and it is not that great but its all I have til I go home on sat nite.  It was a nice morning and it was nice to be in the woods. I dont think there was a turkey within a mile of me. The good news is my bro in law hunted my favorite spot (at home) and as usual there was gobblers all over. He wasnt able to close the deal cause the birds are pretty henned up but It sure gives me and my grandpa something to look forward to on sunday mornin!!! Good luck to everyone else!! Its finally here. Gotta love NY hunting!!!

hatch

Postby hatch » May 1st, 2008, 2:24 pm

I think you meant to say thankx to Juggaloclownz187, but I will second his words, I am taking my dad out on sat or sun if he can make it so good luck to u and ur grandpa!!
"Roosted aint Roasted"

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion