Got 'em!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!

Got 'em!

Postby grunt_doc » May 1st, 2008, 9:28 am

First bird down, first time out.  Thanks in no small part to all theose who put up with my questions.  Thanks.  I thought it was going to be a wasted day, how it all started this morning.  I got my car stuck in a sink hole in the road.  Ever push (not drive) a crappy Saturn out of a sink hole?  things were pulled.  Then it was a couple of hours of "runnin" but no "gunnin."  I finally settled on the edge of a field that I've seen turkeys in at dusk a short while ago.  I didn't hear anything all morning and got nothing from owl/crow calling.  I just sat down and gave a couple of yelps and waited.  gobble gobble!  Holy crap!  Inside, I was screaming like a 12 year old girl at a Hanna Montanna concert.  Outside, just the evil grin.  a quick cut and another gobble.  2 jakes came  right for me.  I dropped the bigger of the 2.  here's the sad part...I was so excited to get him home and in the oven (not freezer!) that I forgot to weigh him!!!!!  so since I can't tell that he WASN'T... he was a 400lb jake.  the pic is not the best.  I got a new camera last night...
gobble to gun, about 20 min.
Thanks again for the advice everyone.  Tomorrow I'm going to get either his buddy, or his daddy!

RE: Got 'em!

Postby jpb » May 1st, 2008, 10:25 am

Grunt..Congrats on youre fist bird..It looks like that jake is all of 425-430 lbs to me...I have to agree with the helpfulness of the people on this forum.As a new hunter myself its a great to have the suport of others who you dont even know trying to help you understand what youre doing right or wrong in the quest for a bird.....Good luck with tmw's hunt.

Postby FireStrut » May 1st, 2008, 12:17 pm

Congrats on the harvest, nice bird.

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » May 1st, 2008, 12:23 pm

Way to go, grunt_doc!  Congrats.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 1st, 2008, 5:30 pm

Congrats, Doc.
Keep after 'em.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Postby Steve_In » May 1st, 2008, 5:44 pm

Congrats.  I know how you feel.  Only it took me 6 years.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Postby turk2di » May 2nd, 2008, 2:46 am

Congrats on your fine bird!

Postby Dank » May 2nd, 2008, 8:44 am

Congrats on your first bird. It sure feels good doesn't it???
Failure is often our best teacher.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion