cleaning birds

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
santoll

cleaning birds

Postby santoll » May 3rd, 2008, 8:55 pm

After pulling a nice three year old from some hens on day two of the NY season with a few gobbles of my own, I was out of the woods by 6.  We all know how great that feels and how very rare that is.  The question I have is about cleaning the birds.  Gutting turkeys are not a problem but for years I've had a bit of trouble after that.
For whatever reason there just always seems to be a ton of feathers and junk on the skin of the birds after I cut them up and try to freeze them.  It takes me forever to pick all these little hair like feathers off and I never seem to get them all even if I soak the meat.
I'm not plucking these birds I'm cutting them right down to the meat and I'm just wondering if there is a technique I could use to avoid all the work?   

apache_gobbler

RE: cleaning birds

Postby apache_gobbler » May 4th, 2008, 8:35 am

what i usuall do is hang the turkey by the head, cut the skin from the neck all the way down to the butt. after that, i pull the whole hide off... if you do it right, no feathers will be on the meat. once the hide is off, you can cut the breast meat off and whatever else you want while it is still hanging....

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 4th, 2008, 3:06 pm

This is very unknown to me as well being new like I am. Is there any kind of video out on the net that I could use as a watch and learn technique? I do better when I see it done first.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 5th, 2008, 3:13 am

I skin from the head, score the whole way around the top of the neck just below the head; run your knife (like gutting a deer) along the back bone the length of the turkeyr just under the skin;I cut the wings, tail, beard (when appropriate) and usually the lower leg off prior to hanging.

While it's still hanging, you can run a propane torch over them lightly if you think it's needed.

It's rare for me to gut them anymore, unless it's going to be several hours until I can get the feathers off. I usually just cut them into parts.

MAK

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 5th, 2008, 6:36 am

howdy santoll,
if am hunting for a few days straight, i usually gut my birds and refrigerate them until i clean them. i lay them on back of pick-up tailgate, make a small incision at the breast bone and then pull the skin back away from breast. while holding both legs, one in each hand, i apply pressure downwards to create more room so that the feathers are limited touching the breast. i breast out the bird at that point. while cutting the breast, i start by cutting along the breast bone, i then cut from the bottom up all the while, holding the breast in my hand not allowing it to touch the bird. i know it may sound confusing but i hope it helps. if any feathers get on the meat, a little water will take them off.good luck 
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 5th, 2008, 8:54 am

Any tips help at this point. When i do get one I am quite certain I will mess it up anyway. I think if I can physically see it done at least once then I should be ok.

Thanks again for the tips and keep them coming if you all think of anything else.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 5th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Our DNR has had Purdue county extension agents give seminars on turkey and deer care.  It was educational, free, and they fed us a good meal to boot.  Worth the time.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Dank

Postby Dank » May 6th, 2008, 10:38 am

I just split the skin at the neck to down below the breasts and just peel it back far enough to get to the breast. Then i just cut out the breast by just starting next to the breast bone and work my way out (alot liking getting the tenderloins off a deer). Its super easy and takes about 10 or 15 minutes at the most. Its for this reason I would definately rather clean a turkey than a deer any day!!!
Failure is often our best teacher.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » May 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm

ORIGINAL: Dank

I just split the skin at the neck to down below the breasts and just peel it back far enough to get to the breast. Then i just cut out the breast by just starting next to the breast bone and work my way out (alot liking getting the tenderloins off a deer). Its super easy and takes about 10 or 15 minutes at the most. Its for this reason I would definately rather clean a turkey than a deer any day!!!

Ditto, and amen to that!!!

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 7th, 2008, 7:40 am

Greta tip thanks. I will do that when I get the chance. [;)]

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion