Any turkey taxidermists here?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Spurred

Any turkey taxidermists here?

Postby Spurred » May 9th, 2008, 11:29 am

Just wondering the best way to display a gobbler in full strut without taking up an acre of living space.

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: Any turkey taxidermists here?

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 9th, 2008, 11:38 am

howdy spurred, i'm no taxidermist, but i do have a strutting bird up on a pedestal. it stands roughly 32" off ground...another option would be to have the bird mounted on a limb that you can hang overhead somewhere.
i have enclosed a pic, though it's not a very good one.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 9th, 2008, 11:40 am

here is the pic

Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 9th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Spurred, I do some taxidermy work as a hobby....got into it because I wanted to have some turkey mounts and nobody around here really was any good at it.  If space is limited, you can put just about any kind of mount on a wall by making a fairly simple wood display platform that can be attached to the wall.  Basically, the ones I have made are two pieces of plywood (or solid wood material) with a support member between them.  One piece is for the wall attachment and the other for the shelf.  I cut the wood pieces with a symmetrical design on them, router the edges, sand, stain, and seal everything so it is an attractive component of the display.  Easy to make if you have the proper tools (jig saw, router, sander, drill) and the whole process takes about four hours.  The roost mount Steroidchicken mentioned is also a good way to display birds when space is an issue.

Jim

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion