15yrs turkey hunting and biggest bird

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tom slayer

15yrs turkey hunting and biggest bird

Postby tom slayer » May 16th, 2008, 8:40 am

shot at 4 yrds... 3 1/2 supremes with my new mossberg and wow... double 11 inch beards 1 inch spurs and 24 lbs...

tom slayer

RE: 15yrs turkey hunting and biggest bird

Postby tom slayer » May 16th, 2008, 8:41 am

nice fan

tom slayer

Postby tom slayer » May 16th, 2008, 8:42 am

first double bearder ever...

JPH

Postby JPH » May 16th, 2008, 8:45 am

4 yards!!! Double 11 inch beards!!! Wow, you don't see that every day! Let's hear a little about the hunt!

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 16th, 2008, 9:30 am

man, you put the smack down on that head....talking about close encounters, that is awesome. that is a GREAT BIRD. congrats and a big high five. that is gonna be a hard bird to beat but have fun trying....congrats again.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Spurred

Postby Spurred » May 16th, 2008, 10:53 am

Wow!! Thing probably weighed 25 before that massive loss of tissue and blood! Way to go. Those super close shots are the most difficult.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 16th, 2008, 11:05 am

That's a dandy - if you're getting him mounted, Taxidermist has his work cut out for him. Congrat's !! Let's have some details.  
MAK

jpb

Postby jpb » May 16th, 2008, 11:57 am

good looking bird..If he was any closer you could have just reached out and wrassled him to the ground.
Joe

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 16th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Outstanding Bird! 
 I'll bet you didn't have to go looking for him or worry about chasing him down. 
Some serious whiskers on that Bad Boy. 

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

tom slayer

Postby tom slayer » May 17th, 2008, 6:40 am

well after another long unsucessfull hunt in the am with little or no gobbling as most of the birds up here are still henned up due to an early spring..  i went to a spot that i hadnt hunted yet... i had been roosting birds in the morn on the way to work that week and heard what probly was this bad boy back in the hardwoods.. unfortunatly i only had evening permission to hunt this property and there was a hunter pressuring this spot hard hard hard...almost every day i would see his truck there or more then one truck..
i set up about 4 pm on the wed night hoping to strike up some gobbling.. no luck.... an hour in not 1 gobble... with 9 1/2 month pregnant wife at home calling my cell phone to come home for supper after hunting all day i figured screw it im outta here..
took the long birdless walk back to the truck across the big hay field i was in  and opened my truck door... look up and boom...... 3 big strutters walking on a mission to were i was just calling from... wtf!!!!   in the middle of the field where the hay meets a plowed section there was a big mound of dirt  about 8 feet high 20 feet around.. i put that mound inbetween me and the birds and high tailed it the 100 or so yrds back into the field  ... made sure the birds couldnt see me when i got there and set up my full strut deke and a hen litterally 5 feet from me.. .didnt wanna get caught in the open.... proceeded to lay on my belly at the crest of the mound and 2 min later they popped there heads up and noticed the deke.. they silently and slowly walked in on my  set up i picked the biggest one and when he walked into my crosshairs at 4 yrds    well you see what happend next... a cloud of red mist splatterd the other 2 in the face...
i was pumped to say the least... sometimes the most unconventional set ups seem to produce... and this is yet another lesson to me and to others to never give up.... we all have had frustrating days but if there still time in the day to hunt then dont give up... i wont again..
tom slayer...

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion