Fall turkey hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
olesmoky12

Fall turkey hunting

Postby olesmoky12 » May 23rd, 2008, 6:10 pm

Spring season is almost over and I'm running out of time to get my fiance in front of a bird. She has had very limited time to hunt and every time she has been out the bird played tough. She really wants to get her first bird. I have never hunted the fall season, but think I might give it a shot this year in hopes of helping her with her first bird. Any tricks or tips would be a great help.

Thanks

Gobblernut

RE: Fall turkey hunting

Postby Gobblernut » May 23rd, 2008, 6:37 pm

Olesmoky, That's the same predicament I'm in with my fiance she didn't get to hunt much in the spring either had her on a bird but he hung up onme  then he came out and walked about 80 yyds down hill away from us..But as far as fall goes look for a flock to bust up if possible and then sit down and use the kee kee run..That is a hen call used to assemble them back up...Try to scout as much as possible watch fields for flocks..Look for scratchings..If you can't find aflock to split up hunt where you know their are turkeys and sit still and call..Use that keekeerun..Hope this helps I'm not an expert by no means..Another thing look for acorns they love'em..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » May 24th, 2008, 5:24 am

Gobblernut, Thanks for the help. I'm in the woods alot int the fall deer hunting and have seen turkey but really never tried to hunt.I know of a few spots that I see turkey while deer hunting to So. Ohio. We will give it a shot. She and I have been together for three years and after our first trip hunting(deer) she fell in love the the sport of hunting. The sad part is nothing has ever went right for her but she still can't wait for the next time to get out there. She is already talking about how we are going to be hunting fall because I have three girls that like to hunt as well. Anyway, thanks again.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 24th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Hey Dale,

I'd sure encourage you to take your fiance on a fall hunt. There's really nothing like a fall hunt, having flocks of birds out in front of you, listening and seeing how they interact, to really get you excited. I've had flocks of 100 or more around me in the fall.

The key of course, is in locating the flocks. Once you do that, scattering them and calling them back is more fun than you can imagine, if you've not tried it.

I'm absolutely hooked on fall hunting and have been for many years. It's just a great time to be in the woods and I've learned more about turkey behavior in the fall than I ever could have just by hunting in the spring woods.

Good luck and if I can be of help in any way, please don't hesitate to give me a yell.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » May 25th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Thanks,

I'm sure I will have a dozen more guestions. The one I do have now is decoys. Shoulds I put a few out to help pull them in? If so, should I use hens,jakes, or all?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 25th, 2008, 4:29 pm

I usually carry a  hen decoy with me when I hunt in the fall but seldom use it. If I can't find a flock to scatter, I'll usually just sit and call, kee kee and yelp a bit.

I hunted, spring and fall, for many years with a good friend and the best turkey hunter I've ever met. His name was Lloyd Fowler. He hunted until just about a month before cancer took his life, way too soon.

He always carried a decoy in his vest. On those rare occasions in the fall when he could not locate a flock of birds, he set up that decoy. We'd let the woods "relax" for a while and then we'd start calling every few minutes until we were answered. There were times when we'd move to another spot but not too often. We had our best luck by just sitting still and waiting.

I've used that strategy for the last several years. I hunt where birds are and try to find a flock and scatter them. If I'm unsuccessful in finding them, I'll just sit and call. Sometimes I put out the hen decoy and sometimes not. I've never been convinced that it either helped or hurt my chances.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » May 25th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Sorry about the loss of your friend and hunting partner. Having a good friend to share the hunt with always makes it better. I've been thinking of a few places that I have seen turkey in the fall while deer hunting. One area that I was bow hunting the last three years had birds come through there like clockwork every morning and then return that evening. This will be one area that I check out this comming fall.

Thanks
Dale

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion