any advice?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
cajunmoe

any advice?

Postby cajunmoe » June 5th, 2008, 8:17 am

hello everyone my name is Jeremy, I live in Louisiana and have decided to take the plunge into turkey hunting. I do not have any friends here that turkey hunt so I have no one to get advice from yet. I am hoping to meet some turkey hunter's in Louisiana. If anyone here is from Louisiana I would like to hear from you. If you are not from Louisiana but would be kind enough to share any advice it would be much appreciated.         

tracebusta32

RE: any advice?

Postby tracebusta32 » June 5th, 2008, 11:10 am

I would be glad to try and answer any specific question you may have but my initial advice would be to peruse this website between now and the next season and see what you can pick up...
BTW welcome aboard!!
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

JPH

Postby JPH » June 5th, 2008, 11:19 am

Advice? All you can handle bro! Start slingin' some questions.

While you're at it, I highly reccomed "Successful Turkey Hunting" by M.D. Johnson. Easy to read, great photos and it covers the fundimentals.

Barry

Postby Barry » June 5th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Definitely get some books on the subject.
Read "how to" articles in hunting mags.
Pick you up some calls and practice.
Go to some outdoor shows in late winter and early spring and get the guys in the "turkey" booths to show you how to make the basic calls needed.
Find a place to hunt that has turkeys!!!

barry

cajunmoe

Postby cajunmoe » June 5th, 2008, 12:18 pm

O.K.  The first thing I was thinking about doing is to get a turkey call and start practicing.  What would you recommend I start with?   Second thing I was thinking is while I am learning how to use a call I need to do some scouting.   Since I live in the extreme south of Louisiana the turkey woods are about an hour and a half north.  What do I need to concentrate on while scouting to make the most of my time in the woods? I don't have any friends or family up there so it will be a scouting/camping trip. Also how long should I practice calling before I take the call into the woods?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » June 5th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Scouting, in my opinion, is the number one factor for success in turkey hunting. Scout and study the habits of the wild turkey as much as possible. If you know where a gobbler roosts, where he struts and his favorite places to feed, calling him in can be very easy. Just remember it is always easier to call a turkey to a spot he already wants to go.

[size=85]Turkeys spread out into different areas in the spring. Don't expect the place you saw a huge flock of wintering birds to have those same birds in the spring. It's best to get out and scout the last few weeks before the season starts to see where the birds have moved. Some areas only hold birds in the spring while others may only hold them in the winter.

Think like a hen. Instead of looking for gobblers when you are out scouting, find an area that has lots of hens and the gobblers won't be far away. Look for areas that have good nesting habitat nearby and you'll usually find hens and the gobblers also.
Turkey tracks over 4 1/2" long are gobbler tracks. Hens usually have tracks that are 3 1/2" long or less.

Look for droppings while your out, the size and shape of the droppings are useful in distinguishing hens and gobblers. Hen droppings are looped, spiraled or bulbous with a main stem diameter of 5/16" or less. Jake droppings are larger with a diameter of around 3/8" and adult gobblers average about 1/2". Male droppings are relatively straight or J-shaped.

Ride around looking at areas you have perminssion to hunt on, or go out and ask for permission to hunt areas where the homeowner has spotted turkeys before.

Good Luck

[/size]

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 5th, 2008, 4:54 pm

start 'round creeks or other water sources birds need h2o field edges are also good places 2 start lookin' practice 4 the rest of your life & try different kinds of calls mouth,slate , & hoosier hunter box calls.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 5th, 2008, 6:15 pm

You have gotten some good advice so far. 

Take time to learn the territory you are going to hunt.  The better you know the land the more it will make sense once you start hearing calls coming from around that property. Scout, scout, scout.

Spend some time around around live turkeys.  Teach yourself how to be still.  Hunting season is hardly the time to learn. You don't want to get busted because you are unfamiliar with how the game works.  Make sure you are ready to go when the season rolls around.  Go to a State Park and practice calling or maybe "hunt" with a camera.  The more comfortable you are around live birds, the less likely you are to make mistakes whe it is time to take the safety off.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 5th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Welcome to the world of turkey hunting. As you can already tell, turkey hunters are a different breed of hunters. It doesn't matter where you come from or what you do  - your are a turkey hunter.

Advice?   Keep a open mind. Listen to the everyone on this site. They all have very helpful advice and with the years of experience that goes along with them  - They have seen it all.
Olesmoky

JPH

Postby JPH » June 6th, 2008, 3:27 am

ORIGINAL: cajunmoe
I was thinking about doing is to get a turkey call and start practicing.  What would you recommend I start with?  

Also how long should I practice calling before I take the call into the woods?

In response to the first quoted question, pot & peg slate followed closely by a box call. And while you're at it, you might as well throw in a thin-reed diaphram (since you have plenty of time to practice).

In resopnse to the second question, practice as much as the people in your life will tolerate. Turkey hunters find out pretty quickly who really loves them.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion