BOW HUNTING HELP

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

BOW HUNTING HELP

Postby grizzly » August 22nd, 2008, 2:51 am

I know that some of you hunt with bow only an i need some info . right  now i white tail hunt with a parker compound set at 50 pounds draw , 28" carbon fury arrows and stinger two bladed 100 grain heads. i have a pop up blind. what changes do i need to make in my set up to hunt turkeys. what kind of calls do you use. because of a cliffed paltled i'm not able to use a diaphragm. any and all help would be greatly useful thank you   [:D] 

allaboutshooting

RE: BOW HUNTING HELP

Postby allaboutshooting » August 22nd, 2008, 5:50 am

Hey Wayne,

I can't speak to the set-up that you're using since it's been years since I've bow hunted. Back then, I used a PSE Fire Flite bow set at 50 lbs. and 125 grain Thunderheads. There have been so many advances in bow hunting that all my information is only of "historical" value now.

The most important part to using any type of blind, at least to my way of thinking, is to be where the turkeys are. That requires a good bit of scouting to locate where they are roosting, feeding, etc. If you've done that, I think the same blind set-up that works for deer will work for turkeys.

Since you are hidden with a blind, that leaves you free to use many types of calls. Box calls, slate, glass, aluminum pot calls are all good choices. I'd use whatever you're best at using and also try something different if those aren't working for you.

One spring when nothing seemed to work, I pull out a push pen call and had a gobbler start gobbling immediately. You just never know what will work at any time.

Lastly, my only concern about using blinds is the safety aspect, since I hunt a lot of public as well as private ground. The same camo that helps to hide you from game can also hide you from other hunters. I don't like the idea of being between a turkey/deer and another hunter with nothing to my protect my back. I'd consider setting up that blind with a large tree, bank, etc. to the rear, just to be safe.

Best of luck and please let me know how your seasons goes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 22nd, 2008, 11:50 am

Clark thanks for all the great info! on a diffrent subject i was wondering if you ever tested the nitro pheasant loads vurus the nitro turkey made by remington if you did what  results                                                                                                          

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » August 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm

I am not much on bowhunting for turkeys i like my shotgun but i have noticed that they have some broadheads designed just for turkeys, and i know that a lot of people prefer mechanicals for turkeys. Hope i helped a little bit and have fun chasing them.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion