Hens and Gobblers hanging out?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
coopdog

Hens and Gobblers hanging out?

Postby coopdog » August 25th, 2008, 6:29 pm

New to this forum and to turkey hunting.  Saw some last year deer hunting and watched them roost.  It was pretty neat.

well, they are still around this year.  my question is...do hens and jakes hang around together or in separate groups.  I have not been able to get close enough to determine whether the group I am seeing are hens/jakes/or both.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Coopdog
USMCR

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"
Jimmy Buffett

coopdog

RE: Hens and Gobblers hanging out?

Postby coopdog » August 30th, 2008, 6:48 am

I cannot believe no one has offered any advise or knowledge to my question.[:@]

I really thought I would get some help from this website and forum.  I guess I was wrong.

as this will be my last post, thanks anyway,
Coopdog
USMCR

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"
Jimmy Buffett

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » August 30th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Now, now, now Coopdog, don't be mad. I assume why you have not received a response because many of the turkey hunters are not on this site with fall season still a month away.

I would like to say I have gotten AWESOME advice from my turkey friends since I have joined this site back in April. I also must say it is BECAUSE of the helpful advice, I am now a published writer (see "Who wants my autograph???" ) .

That being said Coopdog (assuming you are still out there in web land), the turkeys are coming together in all sizes and sexes during the fall. I have seen a flock of over 100 birds together ( unfortunately not by my house ).

Hang in there and keep coming back for any help you need... Who knows, maybe you to can become a published writer .

i'm just saying ( as the kids say)

: )
For those who say tukeys are ugly... just add more gravy!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 31st, 2008, 3:13 pm

welcome Coopdog ! I have only been on this site for a couple weeks or so. To make matters worse my wife has to retrain me every time I want to get on here.What I mean by WORSE MATTERS is that I wish I had started long ago .As for fall turkeys in groups , you'll likely see a mixture of all if enough time is spent in the woods and fields where the birds are . As with most animals there are general rules and there are exceptions. Shortly after I started fall hunting I read that you'll never see a gobbler with a group of jakes nor a group of hens . Well that very week I saw a hen and her brood with a two year old walking  and feeding right with them . You just might see anything in the turkey woods.But generally in the fall the gobblers will be with toms their own age or alone.There will be the hens with their broods and generally there are two or three hens and broods hanging together . Then there are the hens that for whatever reason have lost their nests or broods . There seems to be some of these flocks of old hens about everywhere. Then there is the those  gangs of jakes from last years hatch . I take advantage of every opportunity when I encounter any of these different sex flocks , even if I don't intend to shoot one . They can always teach us something new about the bird. If you can lay hold of the fall 2001 and fall 2006 issues of T &TH they both have excellent articles on the subject at hand  . Those 1.5 year old jakes are a blast to play with. This year for me it is gobbler only . hope to hear from you again. This old dog is still learning .''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 1st, 2008, 5:30 am

Hey Greg,

First of all welcome to the site. I hope that you'll stick around. This time of year many folks are very busy with summertime activities but you'll see much more activity as a chill in the air signals that hunting season is on the way.

I've been a fall turkey hunter for many years and frankly, enjoy it as much and many times more than the spring season. One reason is the large number of turkeys that I see, hear and am able to really observe each year.

I've often seen flocks of 50-100 in the fall season and many times, have been right in the middle of them. I see both sexes of turkeys in these large flocks in the fall. It's pretty easy to tell the difference in them because even when the jakes are this young, they are still much larger than the hens.

I've also seen small flocks of jakes together. By small, I mean 4-10. This year, I'm seeing more gobblers in fields than I have ever seen at this time of year. I'm seeing large gobblers, either individually or 3 to 4 together and I've seen a couple strut. That's kind of unusual activity for this time of year.

I hope you'll consider hunting turkeys this fall. It's a great time to be in the woods and to really get to know those birds.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 1st, 2008, 5:31 am

come on COOPDOG , we would be glad to help in any way we can . most people are probably busy with the holiday weekend .. i'll be checking this site at least every two days if my honey will let me use the computer . later   ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion