Fitness for hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

Fitness for hunting

Postby JPH » June 19th, 2008, 11:18 am

This is a repeat of a thread I started on the old forum. Thought it might be worth bringing it up again.

How much do you think a hunter's level of physical fitness impacts their safety and success in the field? And secondly, what kinds of things do you do, if any, to physically prepare yourselves for hunting season.

Personally, I think it is a huge factor and widely overlooked. There is so little written or said about it. Maybe we can change that.

trkyklr

RE: Fitness for hunting

Postby trkyklr » June 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm

i agree it is a major factor that you dont hear people talk about the main thing i do is walk the hills & hollers of tn year round it keeps me in shape & ready to chase birds come spring or fall its hard to be accurate when your out of breath

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 19th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Stay active during to off season. Alot of turkey hunters do other hunting as I do in the fall and winter months. For the most part the hunters depend on some type of ORV during these seasons. I don't use them very often myself but around the end of Feb I start walking as much as possible. I try  to put myself under the same pressure as I would be in if I was covering the ground on a tom that just gobbled on the next ridge.
Olesmoky

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » June 20th, 2008, 3:35 am

I couldn't agree more.  It's both important AND over looked.  Since I got out of the military last year, I have quit smoking (good!) and quit exercising (BAD!!!).  I've noticed the difference, believe me.  Time to get back into running.  One thing I used to love to do is to run trails.  It's more interesting than running around at home.  For the most part, even just taking an evening walk will help.  Walking the woodchuck fields all summer is even better!

Doc

cajunmoe

Postby cajunmoe » June 20th, 2008, 6:37 am

I agree with all of you on this issue. Physical fitness is a must. Not just for hunting but for life. Here in Louisiana there are all sorts of nasty critters in the marsh and swamp. And we all know it is to late to get in shape once your scrambling away from the alligator that just surprised you on your scouting trip! 
moe

JPH

Postby JPH » June 20th, 2008, 10:52 am

Glad to see that I'm not alone. The ability to move over rough ground, quickly and safely, with enough left in the tank to sit still when you get there is invaluable.

I am lucky in that my employment allows (in fact requires) me to work out. I have been physically active all my life and I certified as a trainer last year. I tend to focus on frequent, brief excercise sessions. I do not move heavy weight or run long distances, but I strive for a lot of variety and intensity.

I have to be careful because I never tire of this subject and i could really bore you to death. But if anyone wants to compare notes or get some fitness ideas, I'm in.

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 20th, 2008, 6:16 pm

JPH,
I don't have much time to go to the gym bunt want to improve my fitness as much as possible. I just don't take the time between family, work, and hunting. I just seem to be out of steam all the time.
Any tips will be appreciated
Dale
Olesmoky

silvestris

Postby silvestris » June 20th, 2008, 7:22 pm

I think any lard a** who knows how to call can kill them consistently with little physical effort.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

cajunmoe

Postby cajunmoe » June 21st, 2008, 4:02 am

Hey olesmokey12, I am no expert like JPH but here is what works for me. I work alot also so I try to make the rest of my day as physically active as possible. I get bored in the gym so I find ways to make my chores more physical. Like using a handsaw to trim branches. I use a push mower to cut grass. I till my garden with a shovel and ho. It takes longer but it makes you stronger. You get the idea.
moe

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 21st, 2008, 4:26 am

moe,
I do the push mower and things like that but seems like it doesn't help much. I use a heavy bag years ago and it give me a good workout plus a great stress relief. May be something I should get back to using.
Thanks for the ideas
Dale
Olesmoky

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion