kids and guns

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

kids and guns

Postby grizzly » November 2nd, 2008, 10:53 pm

wondering if any of you saw the story about the 8 year old at a mass. gun show who shot him self seems he was shooting a fully auto. uzi and could'nt handle the recoil with his finger still on the trigger shot him self in the head and died. i'm sure the antis will have a feild day with this. my heart goes out to his love ones.when my son was i got him a bb gun when he was 8 a 22 then a little while later a single shot 20 guage all the time preaching gun saftey. i'm not saying full auto should be ever be baned for  adults but how do you feel about young kids shooting these kind of guns 

grunt_doc

RE: kids and guns

Postby grunt_doc » November 3rd, 2008, 3:22 am

It was 100% preventable.  They were following the rules:  parental permission, range coach, ect.  What was left out was a rule that all those involved should have common sense.  It didn't occur to anyone that they might want to let the kid shoot hand over hand with an adult so they can see if he can handle the recoil?  Safety rules are great...but you have to think beyond them.  It is a horrible accident regardless.  I am sure that the anti's will be all over this. 

Marlinspike Lanyards

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 3rd, 2008, 4:20 am

Hey Wayne,

I have not heard anything about this terrible tragedy but my sympathy goes out to everyone involved in any way.

Since I was not there and don't know anything of the circumstances involved, I'd hate to make a judgment about blame but it sounds like a problem of supervision and has been pointed out, common sense.

We should always be certain that any shooter is able to handle any gun and usually, that involves limiting the number of cartridges that are available to fire. That's one reason that many "starter" guns are single shots.

Whenever I've introduced a shooter to a semi-automatic or self-loading firearm, I've first loaded it with only 1 shell, just to be certain that there's a real understanding of how it functions. I'll then load it with 2 shells and make sure that I'm standing very close to keep the muzzle downrange, just in case.

You are of course correct that folks who are anti-gun will seize upon this as an indictment of all shooters and gun owners. People make mistakes in all areas of life and unfortunately, some of those mistakes are tragic and sometimes fatal. We as responsible gun owners should do all that we can to emphasize safety and responsible use of firearms.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 3rd, 2008, 4:37 am

I don't really see the need of an 8 year old to shoot anything full auto.  I have no problem with them shooting in a supervised situation, but make it a single shot, bolt, pump, or lever action.  8 years old is just too young to understand the consequenses if they don't operate a firearm correctly.

I was about that age when I shot my Grandad's .30-30 Model '94 Winchester the first time.  I could only shoot with his supervision. When I was a youngster, I had a BB gun & later a pellet gun and had to prove myself with those before I graduated to a .22. I got a 12 Ga. pump for my 15th birthday and had to pass a firearms safety class before I could hunt with it.  My parents are not hunters, or gun owners for that matter.  I've had no accidental discharges and am a good shot because I was given steps to follow toward being a responsible hunter/ gun owner. 

I would say lack of common sense is what killed that kid.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » November 3rd, 2008, 3:34 pm

All kids need to go to a hunter safety course!!!!Just to get the KNOW and thats great for a 8,9,10 year old boy or girl!!!!!!!!just sign them up its well worth it.....zipperman  yes im a instructer  and I encourage to all PARENTS...

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 3rd, 2008, 5:50 pm

A preventable accident to be sure.  My daughter is 7.  I would not let her shoot even a .22 without a rest.  I think there is a rush to "my kid did this at 8, 7, 6, 5, 4,..".  I played jump dog for my brothers and Dad until I reached the magical age of 12 in our family.  I shot all sorts of .22 and shotguns.  All under the watchful eyes of my Dad and older brothers.  When my son was old enough to want to shoot I started him with a BB gun.  He progressed the same as I and my brothers did.  He passed his hunters Ed with just 2 questions missed.  There were 6 and 7 year olds there that same day being spoon fed the answers.  After that I look at H.E as just another feel good program.

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion