I shot him and now I miss my friend

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: I shot him and now I miss my friend

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » June 11th, 2008, 4:37 am

i have found myself over the past couple of years of letting a couple of toms live to see another day. not sure exactly what happened in my HEAD, but i have called in some birds and took the safety off but didn't pull the trigger. it is hard to explain to some guys, but you fellas would probably understand my reasoning..maybe. i guess on those particular mornings, i was more excited about the hunt than i was the kill. don't get me wrong, i am excited every day i get to chase those birds that the good LORD provided us hunters with. still to this day, i don't regret a thing. an awesome hunt and ending for me.  
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » December 21st, 2008, 9:11 am

Great looking longbeard. Some times I wish turkey hunting was call them up and release them. Thanks for sharing, Mike
Mike

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 12:00 pm

just now i finished reading everyones replies on this subject for the first time. i have to agree with you all. pullin' the trigger on tom surely brings about an overwhelming sense of sadness.
i've been hunting nearly all my life , but nothing i've hunted or BAGGED has ever brought about so many different and apposing feelings.
my worst encounter was a bird several years ago that i ambushed because i wasn't able to outsmart him with the call and the woods. i still get a sick feeling in the pit of my gut just thinking of it.
if any of you can ambush and enjoy it, you have my blessing. that big tom was my  last , and will be the last one i take in such manner.
         ''old school turkey tactics''

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion