Tall Grass!! He's not coming....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

Tall Grass!! He's not coming....

Postby Gobblernut » June 16th, 2008, 8:26 pm

What is one thing I learned this spring!! a gobbler will not come through ( HIGH) grass or (HIGH) cover crop. Had a gobbler come in across the field from me about 75yds. the only thing between me and him was a high cover crop probably 2' high he gobbled at everything I done even double gobbled, cut me off still he would not come. Is it because it obstucts his view or is he just to paranoid and uncomfortable. Who knows.. Maybe you do..Any Input..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Cut N Run

RE: Tall Grass!! He's not coming....

Postby Cut N Run » June 17th, 2008, 11:14 am

Could you go in there and bush hog (or weed eater) a lane that the birds would start to use like a "Turkey Highway"?

I have made deer walk where I wanted them to by opening up a path of least resistance.  Turkeys might go for the same trick.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 17th, 2008, 3:38 pm

i bet it would work,one time i took the bottom strand of a barbwire fence & wrapped it around the strand above it to makem' cross under the fence @ that spot & it worked like a charm,its been 4 years ago & they still cross in that exact spot today

JPH

Postby JPH » June 19th, 2008, 11:11 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut
Is it because it obstucts his view or is he just to paranoid and uncomfortable. Who knows.. Maybe you do..Any Input..

Turkeys hang up. It's what they do. Don't over-think it.

On the other hand, what else are you going to do all summer? Mow the lawn??

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 19th, 2008, 7:11 pm

JPH hit the nail on the head. They don't have to have a reason they just do. A few years back I had a bird hang up on  a fence two days in a row. On the third day he came through the fence while in full strut. Now explain that.       "Turkey being turkey"
Olesmoky

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 24th, 2008, 4:28 am

strange things WILL happen . years ago most if not all the writers stated that turkeys couldn't be called downhill, across fences , or across creeks. guess what ? i believed it till one morning a jake of the previous year came running down the far ridge, flew across the fence ,,ran another 60 yrds and flew across the creek,,,hopped up on a pile of gravel on the creek bank and WHISPERED a gobble . that's right i said whispered. he wasn't 75 yards from me and the morning was still as could be. i'm looking right at him,,,i see his head go forward for the gobble but it was barely audible. he came on in and gobbled the same way at least a dozen times. i figured ol' tom had been pickin' on jake and jake didn't want to broadcast his whereabouts.    ???????????????   funny stuff happens

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » December 24th, 2008, 7:50 am

Put yourself down on the turkey's eye level and try to think like he would.  Remember, his biggest asset in survival is his eyesight.  If you were him, would you really want to venture into some high grass where your visibility is zero ?

And I had a gobbler come running down a big ridge to my call last spring.  I staged a fight with purrs from a slate and a diaphram simultaneously and he came in on a dead run looking to get some of the action.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 24th, 2008, 9:46 am

hey gobblernut
i agree that turks won't generally go through something that thick ,,,but they will go around it . i personally like to use thick stuff like that to work in my favor as a funnel to let the bird think he's in control. it works for me!
but it is funny/strange how we can't CALL them through some thickets ,but they will readily feed through there on thier own.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 24th, 2008, 11:59 am

Turkeys will walk through 2 foot food plot growth with one exception.  They will not come through a heavy dew.  Once the dew is burned off they will use a thick food plot growth.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion