bringing in Ol' Tom

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gobbler_getter

bringing in Ol' Tom

Postby gobbler_getter » January 6th, 2009, 5:53 pm

i hunt on just a few acres and we always see big toms walking all over the place and when i go out hunting in the morning i hear them everywhere. but i cant seem to close that last hundred or so yards. what can i do to bring them in?!?[:D]

trkyklr

RE: bringing in Ol' Tom

Postby trkyklr » January 7th, 2009, 1:41 am

patience...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 7th, 2009, 3:13 am

Fire one up and then shut up.  It will not work every time, but will work often enough to gain you the title of a pretty good turkey hunter.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 7th, 2009, 3:39 am

I spent my first years as a turkey hunter hunting a fairly small plot that normally had no roosts on the property, and you could never be sure you were going to see a turkey all season.  The fact that you've got them on your property helps tremendously. Learn to predict where the flocks are going and set up there and catch them well after fly-down.

I could only hunt until Noon.  That was a bummer.  If you can, find the roost trees and hunt fly-up instead of fly down.  Also find out where they go to loaf in the mid-morning and set up ambushes. My farm has an old barn that attracts the surrounding flocks. They go in and shade themselves and dust. Usually all I need to do is find a hot afternoon and hang out there.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 7th, 2009, 3:56 am

they hang out inside the barn?

shaman

Postby shaman » January 7th, 2009, 4:16 am

As soon as the weather gets warm, they will loaf just inside the old barn and dust themselves.  We have been having cold Springs the past few seasons, but the previous years, you bet!  If it starts getting over 80 degrees during the day, I can go to the barn and see the dirt disturbed and feathers all over the place.  Then I know to hang out near the door and wait.  In mid-afternoon, the hens come up and dust and the gobblers will strut in the pasture next to it.

Here's a picture of the barn and the pasture.  My Jagende Hutte is mid-frame. I have hunted from there a few times, but usually it gets too hot in that little shooting house, and I prefer the shade of the barn or up against one of the cedar trees with my Ghilly Suit on.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

friend of mine lives 'bout halfway between Peebles and the big playground, with his house 'bout 3/8 mile back off the highway. he has some livestock and wild turkeys. the turkeys will sometimes get into the barn and make one heck of a mess with the horse feed.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 7th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Hey Zack,

First of all, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy your visits here. There are lots of great folks who will certainly try to be helpful, have great amount of knowledge and are willing to share it.

The question of how to get turkeys to come to your call is one that many of us have been asking since the time we began hunting. It seems that sometimes, almost anything will work and other times, nothing works. That's a part of this wonderful sport of hunting turkeys.

Frankly, for me it's all about the challenge. If it was too easy, I know I'd lose interest in it. It's just never knowing what is going to work that makes it so much fun. Patterning turkeys sure helps and you must hunt where the turkeys are but other than that, it's a constant challenge.

You'll get lots of good advice here and most will sure be worth trying. It has undoubtedly worked for those who provide it and may work for you...or it may not. The most important thing is just to go for it. More turkeys are lost from inactivity than from activity, in my experience. If you bump him, you bump him!

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a great spring season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 7th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Persistence, sounds like you got a great place to hunt.

Earl

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 7th, 2009, 12:59 pm

ive heard they go in barns maybe looking for old feed....or cow pattys to flip.......if you have turkeys on your place make sure they dont see you aproaching....find a good set up call soft at first if they answer ....wait till your sure there on the ground......hit em again maybe a little louder.....then listen if he gobble and sounds closer soften your call.....if he answer that wait em out sit still and dont figit ........the late col. dave harbor said that "once the old gobbler has heard and answered your call he knows the exact spot from which it came and all other calling is unnessary.....dont be afraid to make mistakes learn from them and dont make the same mistake twice......[:D]

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion