SMOKE N FIRE

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

RE: SMOKE N FIRE

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2009, 9:25 pm

''os taps'' os = oversize.  Thus a 1/4-28 tap is really a .255-28 tap.  I should have said just grease the nipples up and run them in.  If I have to use the oversize nipples on a double I make both the same.
''back action locks''  Front action or bar locks are what is on Lyman and TC sidelocks.  Back action locks are the long skinny locks that have most of the lock plate behind the hammer.  They tend to be on guns with cracked or broken stocks. 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Here is a link to a dbl with back action locks.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(hv1aos55qjeb0o45wmu4l4br))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=78&styleId=266&partNum=AAD-245
[:D][:-] WAY more than I would ever pay.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 11th, 2009, 1:10 am

hey STEVE, got out my FLAYDERMANS book this morn . i found and read up on the different locks.  the gun is a ''back action '' type , twist barrels , striaghtline checkering , yet shallow. the rear tang of the triggerguard is very long. all of the triggerguard,and top tang are covered in engraving, as well as all screw heads. wood to metal fit is superb. i could detect no looseness by allowing the gun to rest in my left hand and bumping the buttplate with my right,,,,same principle as testing a baseball bat or cedar arrows for cracks.
the gun appears to have been fired , using mainly the right barrel , which i thought may be a common thing among those ol' shooters.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 11th, 2009, 5:01 am

Mark, is there a name on that old SxS?  They seldom had sloppy inletting.  Labor was cheap & they had to do it well or not at all.  The big difference in quality was in the locks.  The better grades were case hardened and polished on the inside.  I have had the opertunity to view several.  My brother has a small collection that he is constantly upgrading.  If someone would invent a product to make old guns talk I would be first in line.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 11th, 2009, 8:14 am

we didn't do any cleaning on the gun while it was here. i did put it under a bright light trying to make out anything,,,ilooked it over fromm end to end but could find nothing.
i mentioned that very thing to the owner about if the gun could talk.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion