Need help planning a Texas Rio trip

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Yelp softly

Need help planning a Texas Rio trip

Postby Yelp softly » October 22nd, 2008, 5:46 pm

I live in Alabama so naturally have harvested Easterns.  The last 2 years I went to South Dakota and got Merriams on both trips.  This year it's going to be Rios we're after.  I kind of have my heart set on Texas, although I wouldn't turn down a good OK or Kansas trip.  Anybody got any good outfitters that they would recommend?  I also wouldn't be opposed to swapping turkey hunts if there are any Texas guys here that would like to try their luck in Alabama.

The Texas Game and Fish website does not have good info on public land turkey hunting opportunities.  Anybody got any info on public spots to try?

Singin

RE: Need help planning a Texas Rio trip

Postby Singin » October 25th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Me and a buddy have been going to Salina Kansas the last three years to hunt rio's. All I cann say about the Rio's there is that they are suicidal. I wouldn't pass up on Kansas. I think the Rio's there aren't hunted as much so they aren't nearly as jummpy.

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » October 27th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Are you hunting with an Outfitter in Salinas, or is this public land?  Any info would be appreciated.  I'm not ruling out anything yet.

Va.ridgerunner

Postby Va.ridgerunner » November 3rd, 2008, 7:02 am

I hunted in Texas two years ago.  Used an outfitter called Magnum guide service.  First rate. Great food, lots of turkeys.  tell them how you want to hunt and they can provide it for you.  Killed two birds on  the second day of the trip.  They usually have an ad in the magazine.

dbent

Postby dbent » November 17th, 2008, 9:46 am

I have hunted w/ Double E Outdoors www.doubleeoutdoors.com and would highly recommend them.  Nothing fancy, but reasonable and great people, as well as plenty of birds.  I have pictures of the place if you would like to see.

I am looking for a trip to the south this year, any recommendations in Alabama.

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » November 25th, 2008, 5:23 pm

Thanks guys, I will definitely check them out.  Anymore tips will be greatly appreciated.

wordbird

Postby wordbird » November 30th, 2008, 4:37 pm

ORIGINAL: dbent

I am looking for a trip to the south this year, any recommendations in Alabama.

There are several commercial lodges around the state (some ads in T&TH mag) as well as many good WMA's. http://outdooralabama.com/hunting/wildlife-areas/wmamaps/ What are you looking for?

"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » January 12th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Still need advice. I hope to book something soon. I read where Texas has a split zone for Spring Turkey season. I called a ranch in Menard County. They are at the Souther border of the North zone. Their season doesn't open until April 4th and runs until May17th. Any suggestion about what dates would be best? I know you can't predict the weather but as a general rule, is the hunting better during the early, middle, or late season?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 12th, 2009, 6:03 pm

We go to TX at the beginning of the season each year and although we always kill a few birds, they always seem a bit finicky.  I have been told by several friends over that way that the hunting is better towards the end of the season.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion