Call Shy Birds

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Morgan

RE: Call Shy Birds

Postby Morgan » January 6th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Dadgum Earl....you writing a book....[:D]

I have only dealt with one bird I would consider truly call shy....he hung out in around a 200 acre field...would gobble good on the roost....he was hunted hard and for a long time...he would run when I called him...would run when one of my partners called him..and I have watched him run when other hunters came in from the other side a called him...he would run from soft calls...loud calls...didn't matter...he finally ran over Danny Sills one day when I was calling from across the field...ran to a gap and got bushwhacked and I was glad he was dead....I never saw this bird with a hen....

I do think birds get wise to certain calls or style of calling after being called to day after day...even more so when they are spooked or shot at a few times....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 6th, 2009, 3:41 pm

''them birds have a defective social gene''

[:D][:D] Good one Mark.

Earl

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I had one like that he would run from everything I hunted him off and on for two years we played the game.
One morning I was trying to get above where I thought he would be and in the groping around in the dark stumbled within 65yds.of his roost.
Quietly set up and left him gobble,I finally gave a couple light clucks and waited.
He got quiet and finally after first light gobbled four or five times,I gave him the wing flap and a few low excited clucks and got the gun up.
He sat in the tree for at least another five minutes gobbled and dropped out of the tree,I caught a glimpse of him as he dropped out.
The next time he gobbled he was 150 yds going away again!
The next morning I was above him and about 100yds.to his left I left him gobble until it was light enough to see the ground good,I gave a cluck and a couple purrs so light that I could barely hear them
and in less than five minutes he was there.
Was he call shy or was I just sitting in the right location that morning or was the light purr what he wanted to hear that particular morning?
I will never know!

Turkeybuster

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » January 6th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Most birds that are call shy have been called tooooo much,,,,just let him know that your there and shout upppp...sit tight and be ready...zipperman

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2009, 4:39 pm

This "call shy" debate can (and probably will) go on endlessly.  There have been a couple of stories related here that obviously support the call shyness theory, and there have also been a couple that suggest that any bird can be called under the right conditions and using the right tactics.  Who is correct?  Once again, it is unprovable either way. 

From my own experience, once again, I can honestly say I have seen a multitude of gobblers that lived many a year and died of something other than at the hand of a human hunter.  ....And did so even as they were being hunted and called to for weeks each spring (and fall) by a whole lot of very skilled callers and woodsmen from all over the country. 

How did they survive?  I may be wrong but I don't believe it is because they were all deaf.

Jim

KPcalls

Postby KPcalls » January 6th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Like Morgan mentioned, I also have witnessed one that ran, not walked or left, but ran, from a field in late season when being called to, and no I wasen't doing the calling. [:)] , I don't think it would have mattered though.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 8th, 2009, 1:06 pm

been rackin' my pea sized brain tryin' to recall,,,,but can't think of 1 hen that i encountered that turned away from a call.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 8th, 2009, 2:26 pm

bottom line....if pressured or shot at a turkey can wise up in a hury......theres more than one way to kill a turkey ben lee said " there might be a turkey i cant call ...but there aint a turkey i cant kill".....ponder that boys

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 12th, 2009, 4:23 pm

HI TURKEY COMMANDER

Ben Lee was a excellent caller,woodsman and turkey killing machine.
Sporting wasn't in the vocabulary back then.

Turkeybuster

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 13th, 2009, 2:07 am

[;)]
Break em at Night...Back at light

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion