Adirondacks

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

Adirondacks

Postby grunt_doc » January 15th, 2009, 1:55 pm

I would have posted htis on the NY forum, but no one ever seems to really go there anymore.  Deja vu, I did read your last post there, thanks.

Anyway, does anyone out there hunt the Adirondacks?  My brother and I are seriously considering taking a trip up to our deer camp at Beaver River for the NY opener.  WAAAY different terrain than where I usually hunt.  I know there are birds there, I have the pics of them 10 ft in front of the camp...just never hunted anything else up there but deer.

We are basically trying to choose between an area that we KNOW holds tons of birds (around home) and the "big woods" that we haven't turkey hunted before.  Take the chance?

deja vu

RE: Adirondacks

Postby deja vu » January 18th, 2009, 3:26 am

I have not turkey hunted in ths dacks, deer...yes, but thats all. First, I think there is a ton of good info in the thread titled Approach for Hunting a New Area . follow that advice and do the recon ahead of time. Have you seen turkey there in the spring... or in the fall while deer hunting? They can move miles from where they are in the fall to spring range. In the fall they can range long distance on mast crops, come spring there may be nothing for them in those areas. I`m not sure exactly where your area is, I know on the tug they have over 300 inches of snow already this winter. My guess is lots of birds in those areas have to be where they are being fed. Although it is not legal to feed deer, I know some of the clubs up there still do and the turkey may be using that food source to survive. Anyway, to answer your question "take the chance?" It sounds like you have a very good area near home, unless you know the birds are in the area of your camp in the spring, I wouldn`t leave a good area for an unknown.

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » January 18th, 2009, 7:05 am

I'm not sure about the Adirondacks but I can speak for the Catskills. I had to make a move from Columbia county because the land I was hunting was sold off. We took a shot at an area in Schoharie and have been hunting there for about 10 years with great results. Lots of fun learning new areas and it gets better with every roost site we discover. Good luck
live to hunt hunt to live

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 18th, 2009, 10:00 am

I see your point about not leaving the known for the unknown, but...I already KNOW there are birds at home.  I won't have much of a problem finding them if we get skunked up north.  Finding them, yes....shooting one if up to them.  I guess it will all depend on the weather.  I think we're gonna go for it.  Worst case senario I get to spend time with my brother.  Having spent the last decade or so all over the place, it'll be good to just hang out at camp.  Hopefully, the birds will cooperate. 

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 19th, 2009, 12:29 am

never been in the mountains but if i had a chance to hunt up there i would lots of turkeys or not . done all my hunting here in tioga and tompkins counties but know that i'm out of dairey farming i been making plans to travel and maybe go after a slam

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion