SURPRISED BY TURKEYS

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: SURPRISED BY TURKEYS

Postby mark hay » January 18th, 2009, 10:11 am

hope the editor is taking note of this. i enjoyed each account. KEEP 'EM COMIN'.

benhanson

Postby benhanson » January 18th, 2009, 1:02 pm

this didn't happen to me but i read a book by ray eye and in it once he was guiding a friend out west and they used an elk bugle to locate gobblers. he bugled a tom gobbled and started running to them the set up and he started yelping and the tom shut up ray bugled again and the turkey sprinted the rest of the way in and ray's friend shot him at 20 yards

Tntrkyhntr

Postby Tntrkyhntr » January 18th, 2009, 2:47 pm

One morning a friend and I doubled on a couple Tn longbeards...I shot mine off the top of his!  The funny part happened while sitting under the tree with the "dead"  birds on the ground beside us.  We are reliving the hunt, when out of the corner of my eye I catch movement...I turn my head and am sitting there eye to eye with my "dead" bird, he had regained his composure and was standing to his feet... I didn't hesitate, and grabbed him by the head, pulling it to the ground, kind of.....He was flogging and squawking and going crazy....I was laughing, my buddy was laughing, and finally I am able to pin his body while my buddy puts him out of his misery with a rock...I had NEVER laughed that hard while hunting....We found ourselves rolling on the ground in tears....that is one of the most memorable hunts I have ever experienced, and the craziest thing I have ever seen a "dead" turkey do. 
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Commando Hunting Products Pro Staff
President Middle Tn Kids Hunting For A Cure

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 19th, 2009, 1:36 pm

as related in other posts, i began my SERIOUS turkey hunting in Tranquility Wildlife Area in southern ohio , in 1998. throughout the last few months just prior to season of that year i read , listened and watched as much as i could get a hold of , which really wasn't that much. i knew i was GREEN but was determined.
finally season opened and i had taken vacation time to hunt the whole first week. every day that week i worked at least one bird.
that first week of my dedication left me really ''SURPRISED BY TURKEYS'',,,,,,,,,,, surprised that they were coming in to my calls. surprised they were mostly sneaking in to where i impatiently waited and always moved too soon , but never too late to miss their retreat.
i must admit they still surprise me ,,, even when they gobble all the way to the gun.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 20th, 2009, 5:19 am

A buddy and I hunted early one morning a fews years back at my favorite spot, I had set him up on the edge of a feild and I took off in the ooposite direction to hunt the wooded area. Around 9:30 that morning I knew it was time to go pick him up so he could head off to work so I got in my truck and went after him.
 As I pulled up he was waving his arms as if something was in the feild. He got in my truck and said "did you see that gobbler in the feild?" I told him I was looking but didn't see a thing.
He swore there was one still in the field, I thought he was nuts because the grass was only about 8-12 inches high. I thought I would be able to spot a tom if one was there.
He convinced me to drive through the middle of the feild to the spot he had last seen the gobbler, and sure enough there was a lonbeard there squatting in the grass with his head pressed to the ground "hiding".
I have never seen anything like it, we laugh about that bird to this day.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 20th, 2009, 5:59 am

best thing i,ve ever saw was about 10 years ago we've had an early spring i was up dragging a feild a couple of days before the season open when two toms came out of the woods really going at it i mean they tearing it  up  the road is about 300 yards form the woods and the bigger of the toms drove the other across the road he started back after he got half across the feild the smaller tom tried to come back across the road big guy came running back and drove back they kept it up for well over an hour finally the smaller tom gave up and went into woods on the other side of the road what i thought was funny was i kept on dragging and i got as close as 40 feet on they were so into there fighting that they acted like i was'nt even there.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 22nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

april 1988,,,one week before season,,,,my dad and i were standing about 20 yards apart on the ridge top where we had found good sign. it was about 55-60 degrees and sunny,,middle of the day.at this point in time i had only seen turkeys at great distance, had never heard a wild turkey gobble nor yelp,,but i had heard them on video and domestic birds as well.
we were just taking in the beauty of the big ridges of pike county ohio on such a nice day. not talking , just looking and listening. i had my back to dad for probably thirty minutes . suddenly i heard a hen yelp.  i jumped to my feet and whispered loudly as i turned ''DID YOU HEAR THAT HEN?''
Dad could hardly stand he was laughing so hard. he set me up. all the while we were standing apart from one another dad was polishing a spot on the shaggy bark of a hickory. he had whittled down a dead stick and worked it in the same spot until it made the hen yelp. he would bring that incident up from time to time and LOL everytime.

wordbird

Postby wordbird » January 22nd, 2009, 5:42 pm

I've had a lot of funny stuff/strange stuff happen over the years but just this last spring, I had a hen fly from the roost and land in a tree near me. When she yelped, it was a one note real coarse yelp. After a few minutes of this, she gobbled. It was funny sounding but definitely a gobble. I've heard of it but never witnessed it in 20 years of hunting turkeys.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 25th, 2009, 9:53 am

several years ago , a the Tran. wldlfe Area, i stood in the dark waiting on the first gobble. it was an overcast morning and calm. as the sky began to grey a thunderous gobble shook the ridge .he was back up the trail about 100 yards and off to the southwest. i slipped back up the two track and stood listening to him shake the world. right off the trail was dense cedars which made any type of approach noisy. but i lost my mind in fear of another hunter hearing the tom and moving in on me. so i attempted to close the gap. i moved about 60 yards and set up . this put the tom about 75 yrds in front of me. he was still carrying on when i saw something in the trees not more than 40 yrds in front of my setup. hens,,,a bunch of hens. i had already goofed this up by calling too much and now this flock of girls was neck stretchin' to see this overbearing newcomer. well they soon pitched out the other direction and tom followed. i got up and kicked myself all the way back to the twotrack. just as i started to go back down the trail in an attempt to get around the birds a bird gobbled ahead of me on the ground. i kept moving . there was a curve in the twotrack 40 yards ahead. suddenly this tom comes running around the curve at what looked like top speed. i stopped , but he didn't . he closed the gap to around 25 yards, then stood there looking me over . he evidently saw nothing to fear and resumed his gobbling. over and over he would gobble in a half strut posture. i just stood still and quiet. after a while he turned and ran , unalarmed back to  wherever he came from. i probably could have killed him, but i was so dumbfounded the way he came up that road and it was plenty dark yet .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 30th, 2009, 1:19 pm

this is the third day with everything fully cased in thick ice and i'm surprised that the turkeys can survive. the ground is covered with snow,,,which is covered with ice ,,,which is covered with snow.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion