PROGRESSIVE SCENTS

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

PROGRESSIVE SCENTS

Postby mark hay » February 2nd, 2009, 1:48 pm

just read a PM from our friend SHAMAN. somehow it caused me to start thinking of the smell of the woods.
when my dad started me hunting , we only went INTO the woods in the fall. now even the woods in ''miserably flat country'' have a unique smell or scent in the fall . usually getting out at the beginning of squirrel season and usually it had been dry for quite a spell. had a clean smell about it. gave a sense of being clean when there.
we never went out in the woods in the spring or summer.'' why , you kids 'll come back with chiggers all over ya,,,and ticks too. ''
then a few years later dad started hunting grouse. had to drive an hour and a half to hunt them,,,,in those big ridges and hills of Pike County ohio. woods had a completely different smell , whether it was wet or dry , it was so nice . well i fell in love with the hills before that when we visited grandparents in kaintuky ,but were NEVER allowed out of sight in kentucky.
''why, you kids stay in the yard or a copperhead will kill you''.
well i don't know how i ever overcame the dreaded chiggers fear as well as the constant thought of dying from snakebite. but i do know i had this desire to ''learn how to hunt turkeys'' and i wasn't going to let no parasite nor venomous vermin slow me down. and not until i got serious about turkey hunting did i learn to appreciate the ''progressive scents'' of spring , especially in the rolling hills , where stagnant water doesn't stand in small ponds to rot the debris that falls into it , like in the flat country where i was raised.
to enter the woods while the frost is on and stay long enough for it to thaw and dry and take in all those changing scents of morning. then the days warm a little more and those redbud trees all bloom as them little tiny flowers come up through the leaf litter.
have you ever heard leaves drying in the sun after the frost has melted ?
turkey hunting has so many aspects of pleasure about it , and one is the ''progressive scents'' of spring.
we have to endure the winter, in one way or another no matter where we live. and days like we've had in january makes me really have a deep LONGING for spring .
''old school turkey tactics''

trkynut54

RE: PROGRESSIVE SCENTS

Postby trkynut54 » February 2nd, 2009, 3:02 pm

Wow that was nice Mark. What I like about the spring woods is when I hear that Barred Owl hooting to its mate. I heard a couple of them for two weeks straight while I was in pursuit of a certain gobbler last season.  When the leaves start bursting out of their buds and the woods have a light green tint to them, it seems like the trees are finally coming to life. Of course when the pollen is in the air I have a time with my allergies, but it's well worth it. Then when it starts to get warmer as the season progresses, and nothing is going on, I just sit back against a tree and suck in all that sunshine and listen to the woods, or even catch a few Z's. Then when I get home after hours I have to get those nasty deer ticks off me, I hate those little buggers. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 2nd, 2009, 10:57 pm

i think the best naps are taken in the woods.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 3rd, 2009, 3:59 am

The scent of a spring morning spent in the woods is a great smell, I also enjoy listening to everything "wake" up.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion