turkeydog

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeydoghunter

RE: turkeydog

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 2:18 pm

when we hunt pheasants the dogs where a bell and a orange vest....when they hear the bell before i put it on they go bananas....also pheasant cover is thick high golden rod, thorns and hedge rows....a dog cant fly through it....unlike hardwoods and pines....they know the diference....esp....voice commands of "find the bird"or "get the turkey"   not all dogs have the smarts to hunt  more than one thing....like i said its the hunters choice....its his dog[:D] earl your right the old shcoolers only hunt turkey....i cant house anymore dogs so i make due besides a pile of turkeys we got 30 pheasants ...2geese....2 duck....1 woodcock...and as soon as the weather gets better we gona get some grouse and bunnies.....[:)]

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » January 23rd, 2009, 2:38 pm

Fellas,
     The dog I had was a mixed bird dog, supposedly had Gordon, English, Irish setter and English pointer in him.  He came from down around Culpeper, VA where dogs are used a great deal for turkeys.  He was tall, very lean and ran like the wind.  He looked like a Vislu (sp).  For me here in the hills of WV I thought he hunted too wide and I was afraid for him (afraid someone would shoot him as he went wide).  Actually this part of WV is not all that bad of terrain and I think a smaller dog would be fine.  Jake as near as I could tell couldn't smell the bird, I think he ran so much that he just located them and went nuts on the break.  The only time he acted like he smelled them was at the break site as he'd run about sniffing and jumping up on stuff to look, I guess, for birds.  All I can say is I sure miss him as he was my pet and best buddy.  At times when I talk to guys like yourselves I want one again but it's hard.  It has been about 3 years and still today when I think of him it makes me weepy.  He was my boy.

Jim   

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 3:24 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter
also pheasant cover is thick high golden rod, thorns and hedge rows....a dog cant fly through it....unlike hardwoods and pines 

30 pheasants

I disagree. I've hunted wild pheasants in very thick cattails and other cover worse then what you describe. These birds run and the dog has to stay with them or they'll never fly and get shot. If a dog wants to run off in thick stuff they can.
[font=arial] 
[font=arial]How many of them 30 pheasants were wild hunted pheasants? How many stocked  birds? Big difference. My dog had had many more pheasants then that shot over him. Almost all wild. This season we didn't hunt the stocked areas just concentrated on marshes with good wild bird populations. A dog can't just flip a switch and go from a turkey dog to a pheasant dog its a totally different game. A turkey dog might flush a pheasant if it comes across scent just as a pheasant dog might flush a turkey  which is what Yogi has done but no dog is going to excel at both of them. Like I said earlier a dog can do both but a dog is going to be better at one or the other. If your dogs do good on truely wild pheasants I'd be suprised.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

WT...I bet those set out Pheasants are fun to shoot.

Wonder if he has somebody breast them out for him to. Always has bugged me when somebody tries to pass off shooting set birds for hunting wild ones.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 6:55 pm

oh wth....you must have a gun that shoots 100 yds.....and i clean my own birds buddy  and i take the whole bird not just the breast....i guess in wi there wild birds ??? well in ny there only afew wilds one left and i have to hunt the set out ones they might be easy opening day but after that they wise up and run.....sorry your dog dosent know the difference between turkeys and pheasant but mine do ....and ive killed birds in kansas late season..... pheasant and turkey....they know the difference not trying to pass off anything sorry youve been in the dArk on this.....sorry your dog dont[:D]

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:03 pm

Wisconsin has some marshes with decent populations of wild birds not like Iowa or the dakotas though. 2 bird limits aren't to rare. Why do I need a 100 yard gun? You think I need somebody to dizzy a bird up and set him in a field for me to get a close shot. I'll pass on any shot I figure is over 40. Flushing dogs I hunt behind stay in range, pointing dogs slow down when they get close to the bird and point sometimes birds fly outta range oh well. I'm pretty sure Yogi knows the difference between a pheasant and a turkey. I can tell right away when he's on a turkey he take off after then. Totally different then when he hits grouse or pheasant scent. Once again you calling shooting planted birds hunting.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:06 pm

jim sorry about these thread jumpers....back to the subject sounds like a boykin might work for you....and again sorry about jake......one thing i would stay clear of are pointing breeds like brittneys  and setters i might be wrong ...but id be scared they might try pointing instead of flushing.....i lost a dog about 20 years ago and didnt ever want one again my dog junior was a gift and i vowed that no matter what i would have a dog for the rest of my life they have so much love to give and a hunting dog well i dont have to tell you .....a new love and old one never foregotten 

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:17 pm

sounds like tc dizzyed you up ...if i lived out west wed be a killing em there ....but i hunt in NY and there stocked but aint know one dizzying em and after a few days its a challenge to hunt em i also hunt grouse and bunnies.....all im saying a dog has to go at a slower pace in pheasant cover than the open hard woods....if he didnt you would need a 100yd gun.....im sure yougi knows the difference saw his pic good looking dog[;)]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:17 pm

you sure are tc ....hows busters foot ...youreally need to keep him inshape....how many times he been hurt???

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 7:25 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

sounds like tc dizzyed you up ...if i lived out west wed be a killing em there ....but i hunt in NY and there stocked but aint know one dizzying em and after a few days its a challenge to hunt em i also hunt grouse and bunnies.....all im saying a dog has to go at a slower pace in pheasant cover than the open hard woods....if he didnt you would need a 100yd gun.....im sure yougi knows the difference saw his pic good looking dog[;)]

Shooting state stocked birds is different then shooting preserve birds. I figured you did the preserve shoots looking at the picture of a cocks and hens. Our state has areas like that too but I don't go there anymore to crowded and the birds are dumb. Some pointing breeds range way out there english pointers are known for that. 100 yards would be close for some of them but they hold point for the hunter to get there. Good luck on the grouse they are better than pheasants anyways on the table and in the field. Read some good reports on an upland board of guys grouse hunting in NY.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion