turkeydog

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeydoghunter

RE: turkeydog

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 22nd, 2009, 4:12 pm

turkeytracks dogs are used to locate and scatter the birds also to recover cripples.....jim the boykin would be a good choice for a turkey dog,,,, my dogs sit still why i call the birds back to the gun......morgan has one of my pups and has worked hard to train him ....he will be ready next fall.....i just got back from a winter hunt, with the turkey commander and trkyklr.. i wish i could go tomarrow ....im not even thinking spring ....see fall hunting....i think its over[;)]

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » January 23rd, 2009, 4:26 am

Turkeydoghunter,
     I like the fall also but I guess I prefer spring more.  Here in WV you can only take 1 bird in the fall.  I hunted some this fall but didn't get a bird they always seemed to best us.  Even one night as we were leaving the mountain we flushed birds and the next AM they regrouped away from us and we couldn't get there in time.  These birds were hunted pretty hard in the area that we found them.
     Do you raise the Boytels for sale or the Boykins?

Jim

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 4:52 am

hey jim.....guess im the only one raising boytels but a bokin will do just as good if trained right .....it sounds like yall could have used a dog ......my litters are limitted and i probably will only have one more litter.....but there are a lot of boykins breeders  out there....i have a guy in pa that has some good looking dogs and hes priced right ....i saw one of his dogs this fall and was impressed by his confirmation....though i thought he was improperly trained.....if you need help finding a dog pm me your phone number ...i would be happy to help you find a dog from a good breeder.....Ron 

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 8:34 am

jim i dont agree with the last part of tc s post i hunt waterfowl   and upland game with mine....and thats my choice ....i trained my dogs on turkeys first...and i enjoy hunting other game......duck and goose hunting is great for training a turkeydog to stay still in a blind......it also keeps a dog in shape...for a longer life and and less injuries in the field....and besides i dont have the room for more dogs, and these dogs are versaitle , but its all the hunters  choice.........

ImageImage

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 23rd, 2009, 9:05 am

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 am

Jim and others, far be it for me to give advice here. But, TC and TDH have some good dogs and advice. I have been hunting with others and their turkey dogs every year since 1983, off and on prior to that. Their dogs were droppers that hunted hard and wide, mostly in the mountains and some smaller rolling hills. Although I finally broke down and thank TC for helping me get a dog and training it my self instead of mooching off others. [:D] I have thoroughly enjoyed Jen (11 months) of training. I and others feel she will be a good turkey dog this coming fall. Just a couple small hurdels to overcome. In fact Jen is Ron's dogs daughter and TC dogs niece.

What TC said: "As far as getting a turkey dog...I'd give the terrain and size of the woods I was planning on hunting alot of consideration. If you are hunting vast mountainous areas I'd opt for a bird dog/hound cross that has farther 'range' than a Boykin".

The reason I back that statement is size and endurence of the breeds. Jen is the perfect size for the small rolling hills around here. In fact one of the hardcore turkey doggers who only prefered the dropper type dog loves what he sees in Jen so far as size and ranging of the dog for this terrain we have here, in fact he is so impressed with Jen he is helping with the training (he is mooching in now, pay back).  Although Jen is not that much of a ranger just yet, we all believe by next fall she will be ranging as good as TC dog Buster does.

What TC said: "One thing I will emphasize (and I'm sure most old'schooler than I 'turkeydoggers' will back me up)...if you want a top notch turkey dog don't hunt any other game with them because it will effect their turkey dog performance".

I also lean towards that statement in so far as the old hardcore turkeydoggers that I have hunted with and know over the years said the same. Wayne Bailey, Kit Schaffer, Charlie Price, Sylvester Kyle, Frank Day, to name a couple others, but they are just names to some. I will use Jen or my Brittney (Jake) he is coming on lately as only pursuing the turkey. The bottom line is also what TDH said: but its all the hunters  choice.........

Anyway both these guys will help you or anyone reach a new level of fall hunting experience with a dog. They are very serious and knowlegable about their dogs and fall hunting.

Earl

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 am

there is nothing like fall turkey hunting,if you enjoy the fall hunt a dog WILL take it to the next level,once you see how the dog busts the flock & then lays down beside you & lets you call the birds back you WILL be hooked,i had the joy of getting to see buster,dixie,& jun'ya hunt this fall & i have to say i gotta have one in the very near future,im just tryin to figure out what breed to go with.

p.s. & talk the lil lady into not killin me for adding another pet to the household

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 23rd, 2009, 12:38 pm

I think some dogs can hunt a variety of some game. Yogi our french brittany will point grouse, and pheasants, crawl through thick brush/junk piles pushing out bunnies and he still will bust a flock of turkeys. I doubt he could hold his own turkey hunting like buster because buster has been breed/trained just for them but Yogi will follow turkey scent and bust the flock if he finds scent because we've praised him and encouraged it. I believe Yogi knows the difference between turkey scent and pheasant scent. I can site several examples why I believe this if need be. You buy a versitile breed like a brittany, german shorthair pointer or any of the other numerous breeds you can have a dog that will hunt a variety of fur and feather. If I had a turkey dog I wouldn't want him running other game so I wouldn't encourage it by shooting turkeys or praising him when he runs scent.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion