The Wild Turkey and It's Hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

The Wild Turkey and It's Hunting

Postby shaman » February 11th, 2009, 3:27 am

The Wild Turkey and It's Hunting  by Edward A. McIlhenney

Lookee what I found guys. Don't say I never gave you anything.  Now everyone can have their own copy of McIlhenney!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

RE: The Wild Turkey and It's Hunting

Postby trkyklr » February 11th, 2009, 3:33 am

sorry shaman,but silvestris gave it to us a long time ago

shaman

Postby shaman » February 11th, 2009, 3:50 am

Oh well, the receipt is in the book.  
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 11th, 2009, 3:56 am

thanx,im sure some of the newer fellers will enjoy

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 11th, 2009, 4:30 am

Thanks shaman I just bookmarked it
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 11th, 2009, 5:48 am

Thanks. I've been wanting to read this book. I'm only a few page into it now and can tell it is not going to disappoint.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 11th, 2009, 6:23 am

That should be required reading for everyone on this forum.

My favorite quote starts with the last paragraph of page 171 and runs to halfway down the page 172. Thanks to Silvestris for posting it last year-

"There have been men who could in practice yelp almost as well as the turkey, but when attempting to call the wild bird would do little better than the veriest novice. [/b]If such person's confidence and ability to call did not fail them, their judgment would and the opportunity would be spoiled by some absurd act.[/b]

It is not so much what one should do in calling, but what one should not do, as it is better to leave things undone unless done right. This subject requires the most minute and careful knowledge of turkey lore, and will require much of your patience before you are proficient, and I trust you will find in these lines more for your contemplation than you might suspect."[/b]
[/b]
I printed that out last year and gave it to several buddies, notably one in particular that subscribes to the theory that "they are called turkey calls for a reason."

Two years ago I used his excessive calling against him just to prove a point. He was in a finger of timber overlooking a large late season field of two foot tall hay. I was on the other side of the field and could see four gobbler heads in the middle of the field. I tried coaxing them for half an hour or so but they weren't interested. I then called Jim on his cellphone and told him there were birds in the tall grass and to see if he could call them. I then watched the turkeys through my binoculars. He was too far away for me to hear, but I could tell by their reaction that he was sawing away on his box call as they all looked towards Jim's position. After about five minutes the group began steadily moving in my direction, away from the obnoxious calling. A short while later I took the lead gobbler at 25 yards without having called again.

I remind him about that hunt and his overcalling from time to time. He'll be reminded again this year when I give him a fresh copy of Jordan's above quote.
[;)]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 11th, 2009, 7:31 am

Hey William,

Thanks. You know there are times when I feel like I've landed on another planet. It is truly amazing to me  what can be done now. A book that turns the page when you click on it. There is so much information available to us today.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

shootingsports

Postby shootingsports » February 11th, 2009, 10:13 am

Thanks, Shaman.  I have read the book along time ago, but know I can pass the book to buddies that have never read.

Fan Club, good story on tom chess, you have to know when to call and the move you made was to use your buddy that which is not confident in his calling to help move the gobblers into your shoot zone.

[:D]
"You pay your dues for every gobbler, but do not be selfish in teaching others from your success which comes from laying down the miles of shoe leather during the pre-scout".

howl

Postby howl » February 11th, 2009, 12:09 pm

I especially like the section on guns for taking turkeys. .38 and .32 caliber rifles make the most sense to me, too, though probably not as far as he liked.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion