Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Postby silvestris » February 14th, 2009, 5:51 am

RutnNStrutn, Greyghost  said it better than I could.  We will all be together when we are attacked from outside.  But here, inside, I enjoy it when two posters get after one another (frequently they are good friends outside the forum, albeit opinionated good friends).  When the fur starts flying, the truth starts coming out, although you may have to think and ponder to decide "for yourself" what is true and valid.  I am as opinionated as the next guy, perhaps moreso, but I have no enemies on this site.  I have always felt that so long as the statements are not ad hominum, but are directed to the opinions, that the statements are within the bounds of fair debate.

Would that all of the members of the Congress of the United States were not so cowed and afraid to speak the truth for fear of being labeled as politically incorrect.  Let us not fall into that trap.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 14th, 2009, 12:01 pm

i just went back to page 1 and read the original question. over the past few days i've read nearly all,,if not all posts made . i've been guilty too many times in my life of blurting out my opinion too quickly , when in reality i did not possess enough knowledge on the given subject , whatever it may have been.
sometimes a certain word or phrase is used to make the light burn brighter.
i've been inside a makeshift blind [ camo burlap , draped over sticks, 2 feet tall ].
i've hunted with fellers that use decoys and i put a real fan on a fake for a last day of season hunt once. three birds came in, at 25 yards and i never lifted my gun .
it just don't suit me . i do firmly believe that both take no skill to employ nor do they enhance any skill .
the blind of my choice is a ditch or natural dense growth of saplings or fence that will cause a bird to walk into my guns limitations because he wants to find the bird that was calling from this spot where i'm sitting.
i don't want to be BLIND, nor the bird ,,,i want him to be able to see the very spot where i called from and keep coming toward me because he does not see anything to alarm him. if i breathe to hard or blink or shake so much that he spooks,,,well , i've not completely fooled him have i ?
'' old school turkey tactics ''

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 14th, 2009, 1:25 pm

i agree mark ....i like to use the land a small rise or noll that hides the birds veiw untill hes in range .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 14th, 2009, 1:47 pm

do you remember the article ''LOVER BOY'' ? if i were a photographer i would FOR SURE have the latest , greatest in blinds . go get your copy of T&TH with that article . that was one old bird and DUPED by the calls from inside .
by the way i thought the story was terrific , and T R JOLLY lacks nothing when it comes to FINE photos .
that old turkey was fooled for sure ,,,,,and thinking of it now , in a hunting with a gun situation , i don't see much difference from limbshooting.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 14th, 2009, 6:51 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander
Here's lies the problem....some people are not capable of debate.

Exactly TC, that's the first thing you've ever said that I agree with. [;)]
Silvestris and Greyghost, trust me, I know exactly what is going on.  TC and TDH belong to other forums I am on, and give me crap.  Like I care.  It's just a continuation of their BS. 
I can and will debate, and very effectively at that........when I feel the need.  However, when it comes to Internet forums, where many folks are full of false bravado brought on by miles of separation from those who they are slinging verbal barbs at, there is no reason to try to "debate" with people like that.  I make my point, and try not to involve myself in childish squabbles.  I will sometimes joust with the likes of TC and TDH when it provides me with a laugh.
Yes gentlemen, this is a fairly reserved forum, and yes, I have been on forums where a lot of the guys were jerks.  As I grow older though, I simply find Internet fighting to be a waste of my time. 
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 15th, 2009, 10:42 am

[quote]A turkeys only real means of defense is their eye sight... ....WHAT ABOUT A TURKEYS HEARING....[:D]

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 15th, 2009, 11:39 am

I already did debate it TC, you just didn't like my answer.
That answer is, if it is legal where you hunt, and you want to use a pop up blind (or any other legal technique), then DO IT!!! [;)]
Anything past that is a matter of opinion.  It's your opinion that pop up blinds give you an unfair advantage, and should be outlawed.  It's other people's opinions that they do NOT give you an unfair advantage.  Who's to say who is right?  You?  Them?  Me?  How about that particular state's game and fish department? [;)]
It's my opinion that pop up blinds do give the BOW HUNTER assistance because it hides their movement.  Gun hunters not so much because we are practiced in getting the job done with just enough movement to avoid detection.  They also allow parents to take their youngsters into the woods, and THAT IS A GREAT THING!!!  But, pop up blinds also restrict your ability to run 'n gun, go to the gobble, to reposition, etc.  I don't much care for them for turkey hunting.  I have only done so twice.  Once in Bama when it was pouring rain ALL DAY LONG.  The other was to take my 74 year old father with bad knees turkey hunting.  I will probably use mine this year at my lease to try to take a tom with my bow, and I'll definitely be using mine to take my dad hunting again.  But, I much prefer to plop down against a tree, after working my way in to position. 
Finally, I reiterate, it doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone else likes.  What matters is that they are legal, and we as fellow hunters should support the rights of fellow hunters to use legal techniques for pursuing turkeys, even if it is a technique we don't prefer for ourselves. [;)]
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 15th, 2009, 12:25 pm

My leafy wear camo blinds them pretty well sometimes, last year I had a big tom 8 yards in front of me I also had a hen close enough to reach out and grab him. Should I ditch it?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 15th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Just trying to make a point, camo blinds more turkeys than an enclosed blind anyday.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 15th, 2009, 12:43 pm

i BELIEVE camo is only effective when you are STILL. whereas the blind enables movement. true or false?

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion