Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Postby shaman » February 12th, 2009, 1:21 am

ORIGINAL: deja vu

I`m not telling anyone what they should do......but you guys really don`t see tent hunting being huge advantage????

Come on guys..... just admit it.... you can about do jumping jacks inside them and not spook a bird... try it out in the open..move one finger an inch to click off safe... there are mosquito buzzing you incesently (don`t even think of moving) just let them drill you and don`t flinch...at the last second cheek your gun...your a$$ is burning from lack of movement or an odd stick/root/rock and you think you will die if you don`t wiggle a little right now! These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things you can`t do in the open, but certainly can get away with in the tent.

Actually, I'd be the first to state exactly the contrary. No, it's not a huge advantage. If you take away all your provisos and concentrate on able-bodied adults hunting turkeys with the normal sort of shotgun, there are some huge disadvantages. 

The biggest one is visibility.  This is the standard conundrum of blind hunting: if you blind yourself in so well that you cannot be seen, then chances are you will have a hard time seeing the game. You cannot have all four sides open, otherwise the blind becomes useless.  Therefore you pick the most likely spot you will be able to hunt and keep that side open. You're pretty much blind on all the rest, or you're peaking out through small gaps.  It's like hunting from inside a sewer pipe.

The other one is the weight/bulk of the blind.  Mine has backpack straps, but the dang thing is a 2'-something circle when it's packed up.  It also weighs more than anything else I would be carrying.  Unless you pre-position it, it is a nightmare to transport through the woods.

The third disadvantage is mobility.  There is no way you're going to execute a smart little end-around maneuver and cut off the flock with this thing. Mine takes a few minutes to strike and set. All this time, you're standing and moving.

Other issues:

[ul][*]No, it does not help with mosquitoes.[*]It's sweltering in there, unless you keep all the windows open. One other use I have for it is when I'm deer hunting in extreme cold. It keeps the wind off you and concentrates your body heat. In Spring, it's a hotbox.
[*]Mine is not waterproof. It drips. When I go out in the rain, I carry an extra tarp.
[*]In a wind you also have to stake it down, or else it will go tumbling.[*]It is usually not just the blind you're carrying, but also a chair  Mine has the windows set high enough that you need to be seated on a chair or stool in order to see out unless the window is fully open.
[/ul]This is why, after the kids got of an age, the blind went to the back of the closet and did not come out for several years, except when I wanted to hunt in hard rain.   #3 son had me bring it out last Fall.  He was looking at the possibility of taking it out alone to sit and scout deer after he tagged out.  Our joint assessment-- to much trouble for too little benefit.

As a guy who disagrees with you on the principle, take it from a fellow who has no moral compunctions about hiding in a tent:  it generally ain't worth the hassle. I've carried a 4X6' piece of die-cut camo for 26 seasons, and used it when I needed to-- it's much lighter, much easier to deploy, and much, much easier to hunt from.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 7:50 am

Turkey comander,  I understand the point you are trying to make here, but what you fail to understand is that the bulk of the hunters here are serious hunters not as you stated "Turkey shooters". In the years I have had my blind I have used it a total of 5 times. It is a mojor pain in the butt to haul around. I prefer to sit in the open and get the full experiance of the hunt. As I stated before I had my reasons for getting the blind and Don't really care if aonybody feels the need to look down on me for having used it. I don't see the problem with useing a blind to take kids out for their first few hunts. It helps to make it more enjoyable for them. It was stated earlier that kids won't learn what the hunt is really about if they are allowed to jump around in a blind. Well. That goes to the hunter who is taking them out. Most don't just let them jump around all over the place and not pay attention to the hunt. They use them to HELP keep what movement the kids can't help from being seen. Think about it. How interested is a child going to be in hunting if they are getting yelled at every five minutes to sit still? I'm not saying that they should not be told how important it is to stay still but kids get restless. If useing a blind for the first couple times out will help get a kid used to things a little where is the problem in that? I'm not talking 12 or 13 year old kids but the younger ones. At 12 or 13 in my opinion I feel that child should be old enough to get the idea. I know I did! Think about deer hunters. Most sit in a tree stand up off the ground. A turkeys eye sight is MUCH better than a deer. So how is that a fair thing to do when deer hunting as your arguement goes?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 8:07 am

Well put swpatrkyhunter,

Last year on youth day in the pouring rain I called up 3 jakes to within 8 yards if the blind and both boys got a bird,those two was the 2nd and 3rd birds killed from that 7 year old blind.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 9:56 am

TC you must not take kids out into the feild, 20 years ago it was easy to get a kid to go hunting they didn't have much else to do.

Now with all the technology they have its hard to get them to want to go along with you, so if you do get them out there yo better make it count.

As for me I have 2 girls and 1 boy, we don't allow cable TV in the house and promote reading and being active outside. So to get my kid to go hunting is no problem, but when I try to get others I need to make it a good hunt for them to gain some interest.

Kids are the future to this sport, we are in a different era and have to move along with it as much as possible. Im sure you have the newest camo pattern that is on the market and if you do Im sure an old timer would look down his nose at you for being to concelled.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Tc, Not all kids have everything handed to them!  And those that do it is no fault of their own. it is the parents who do the handing. As for your mention of useing deer stands as common practice VS. Turkey hunting.  Turkeys were almost brought to the verge of being gone for good in this country years ago when the first settlers came here.  It took a long time for wildlife agentcies and groups like the NWTF to help bring the population back so that we may enjoy this wonderful sport. Over years the laws have changed when it comes to turkey hunting. Restrictions lifted that had been in place for many years. For a long time  hunting a bird in the Spring was looked at as "UNFAIR" to those who were used to the way things were. They too blamed the industry of hunting products for pushing Sring hunting. With every new pruduct that comes out to the market SOMEONE will have something to say about it being an "UNFAIR" advantage to whatever game it is intended for. If you feel so strongly about the unfair advantage over the turkeys does that mean you will throw away your camo, choke tubes, calls, andany other item you use while hunting? I doubt it. As for deer. Yes. their eyesight is not their first line of defense. But their nose is. Does that mean you also feel it to be 'UNFAIR" for hunters to use scent blockers? Anything we as hunters use today can be looked upon as giving us an "UNFAIR" advantage in our hunts. Oldtimers who started hunting Turkeys in blue jeans and red plain woolrich coats would probably look down upon all of us at this day in age. Indians hunted for generations with only bow and arrow and did very well. But times have changed and so has hunting. Then it was a matter of survival. Now it is sport. And I'm sure that the Indian society feels a much greater sorrow about hunting being a sport! I like others here hlod a great respect for the game I hunt. I do not nor will I ever take for granted the freedom I enjoy to even be able to hunt. If you feel it is unfair to use a blind then don't use one. Many argue it is unfair to use decoys. Awhile back a post on here got into the subject of shooting birds while in a tree. To which i have never done or would ever do. Everyone has their own moral ways of thinking. Instead of us argueing about them why not try to learn from them and see things from another persons perpective.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Did you actually witness these events? Now your arguing just for the sake of argueing! And for your information the REAL turkey hunter of old were the Indians! They did it for survival!

"Where's the real challenge when you blind your opponent?"

Your quote! 

Does'nt camo pretty much have the same effect? It is worn to BLIND the turkey from seeing you. To give you an ADVANTAGE over the eyesight of the turkey! If anyone is confused my friend it is you. And for your information my gradfather may he rest in peace wore blue jeans a red plaid woolrich coat,which I still have, and a orange cap to hunt in. So you don't know what everone wore to hunt in years ago in my neck of the woods.

There are a couple of old sayins that I feel fit this currant posting.

1) Let he without sin cast the first stone!

2) People in glass houses should not throw stones.

Now can we please get back to talking about Turkeys and how to hunt them!?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 2:25 pm

TC I have seen you post on here and for the most part it is unproductive. I respect your opinion about not hunting with a blind, I myself use woodsmanship and my middle of the road calling skills to kill birds.

And I enjoy getting the youth out in the woods, and to this date there isn't a one that hasn't wanted to come back and go again. But if you are just 'stirring' things up I am done with this thread.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 12th, 2009, 3:30 pm

i ve never really thought about the question until it was asked,they all ready had a few versions of them when i started turkey hunting so i thought they were standard,but i can absolutely see the advantage to them,of course its not for sure just cuz your sittin in a blind, but puta guy sittin in a blind & a guy just sittin under a tree, both just blind calling  & a bird comes in, the person in the blind is going to have an enormous advantage to the tree sitter, the bird wont see the blind sitter move no matter what they do you could do jumpin jacks in one & a bird wouldnt run,i know, i have been in blinds before, but wth the ground sitter turn your head to fast,scratch your arm & that bird will be in the next county...if you dont see it you might be blinder than the blind,maybe thats why they call it a blind 

Morgan

Postby Morgan » February 12th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I have a Jake that has been turkey hunting with me since he was 7...he was 20 this year....he was never in a blind turkey hunting...we sat up by a tree a little wider than us...at first we sat at the same tree...then he started hunting at his own tree....sure he spooked a few..and everytime he knew it...and learned from it....he has turned into a pretty decent turkey hunter...I agree with TC on this one....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm

My last post on here referenced my granddaughter and since most are saying it is a must for kids since they can not sit still although that may be correct. I never used one for my son or daughter and none for my grandkids. My granddaughter the last 2 years was figgety when I had her out, and although no birds were taken she enjoyed the full outdoor experience and wants to keep going. One of the greatest experiences I had was when she was 5 years old (that got her hooked) sitting beside me and I had a bird coming in she was wide eyed and holding on to me. The bird was gobbling and struting all the way in. I told her to slowly put her hands over her ears when I shot. She said after the bird was down, PaPaw feel my heart. I thought it was going to come out her chest. I asked her why she felt that way and she said, it was so beautiful and I thought the bird was going to get us, but she said she knew it would not from what I told her about hunting and turkeys. I do not think she would have gotten that experience if we were in a blind. I say that because in a blind she may not have got to see the bird or have that protection around her where she may have felt safer. So what if she would have spooked the bird, I have spooked a couple myself. I might add she has done quite well the last couple years and looking forward to taking her out again this year. She will be 8 but still on the small side even for a 410, although she carries her BB gun. But it is not about killing a bird to her.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s63/midlandturkey/DSCN0728.jpg

Although both the kids are grown with kids of their own (they turned into fishing addicts and campers, which all four grandkids love) they both want me to take their's turkey hunting to have the same hunting experience they had as a kid in the outdoors. Although they do not hunt themselves today, when I asked them tonight if they would want me to hunt from a blind with their kids they both said no. I asked about rain. They both said they make good rainwear. I asked about them moving around and spooking birds. They said it happens with kids and they know they did and blew a few hunts but enjoyed just being alone with dad and being apart of my life.

I know the goal is to kill birds, and we all want the kids to kill one or be part of the experience with us. I believe that if a kid does not get a bird that it will not be the end of the world and they will not have a negative attitude for hunting.

After all that it is just a matter for me to just say no to blinds. I just believe it takes away from the full experience and what hunting is all about.

Got to agree with TC and a couple others here.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion