Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkynut54

RE: Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Postby trkynut54 » February 10th, 2009, 6:15 pm

I use a camo rain suit, it folds up nice and small and fits in my vest nicely
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » February 11th, 2009, 1:15 am

TurkeyHunter, to each their own. If someone wants to use a pop up, so be it. Doesn't mean they'll be succesful everytime one is used. I use all 3. At least once a day in the spring season I will use my Cabela's Lightning blind if I'm taking youths out. Allows them to move around some w/o being busted and they get to enjoy watching deer too. I use an Avery stick in blind mostly when I'm by myself. It's quick, compact, and does the job. Helps hide the movement of  my hands when using/switching calls. Rainy/misty days I have a camo rainsuit which works just fine. All 3 are tools to use and they are applied when needed.

active NWTF member
hardwater/softwater pole holder
horn hunter
NRA member

shaman

Postby shaman » February 11th, 2009, 2:41 am

I have a pop-up blind that I bought primarily for taking the kids out when they were small.  It hid the young'un's fidgeting just fine.  If it  had been me alone in the blind, I doubt it would have made any difference whether it was there or not. My main reason for not taking it out very often is that it's heavy and bulky compared to the 4X6' piece of die-cut I normally carry.

One time I do use the pop-up is when it's raining.  Mine isn't waterproof, but It does shield me from the worst of the elements. I have one pasture in particular where I can go in a toad strangler.  If I go out when it's pouring, and set up, I have a fair chance of catching the turkeys coming out to feed after the rain lets up. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 11th, 2009, 3:56 am

Most of the time if I want concealment I just clip some saplings and arrange them in front of me.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Isn't that illegal?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 11th, 2009, 4:05 am

You guys are acting like being in a blind guarantees you kill a turkey, they are awful to hunt in if you ask me, but when you have a kid that can't sit still for a few hours than they become helpful.

Birds are wary of most man made blinds that I have hunted in, natural blinds are helpful if made correctly however.

Is it the concealment that people have a problem with?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 11th, 2009, 5:48 am

I have an enclosed blind! I see nothing wrong with useing them. Anyone can argue the use of useing a blind the same as someone can argue the use of decoys, Hunting in the spring, or any other tool Turkey hunters use. I got my blind becasue of knee surgery. it was hard for me to get down on the ground and back up so sitting on a stool in the blind was an option I'm glad I had made. Also. Being water proof it is nice to be able to sit and keep myself and my calls dry! In the next few years I will be taking my girlfreinds son out and hte blind will come in really handy. Cause while some kids CAN sit still in the open, most can not! They get bored and restless. And some adults have a hard time sitting still to. Some for medical reasons and some just have a hard time sitting in one position for long periods of time. So why chstise the use of blinds to those who really have a need for them? To say it gives an unfair advantage is absured! Turkeys have been outsmarting hunters for years and will continue to do so no matter if the huter uses a blind or decoy..etc....

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 11th, 2009, 5:52 am

ORIGINAL: swpatrkyhunter

To say it gives an unfair advantage is absured! Turkeys have been outsmarting hunters for years and will continue to do so no matter if the huter uses a blind or decoy..etc....

Touche'
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 11th, 2009, 8:59 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

You think those kids you take out will learn anything about turkey hunting....moving around the blind.
I hear some guys even take electronic games for the kids to play in the blind. [:@]...........tkyklr  play em

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 11th, 2009, 9:14 am

zuma,but i'd rather not 

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 11th, 2009, 12:48 pm

I`m not telling anyone what they should do......but you guys really don`t see tent hunting being huge advantage????

Come on guys..... just admit it.... you can about do jumping jacks inside them and not spook a bird... try it out in the open..move one finger an inch to click off safe... there are mosquito buzzing you incesently (don`t even think of moving) just let them drill you and don`t flinch...at the last second cheek your gun...your a$$ is burning from lack of movement or an odd stick/root/rock and you think you will die if you don`t wiggle a little right now! These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things you can`t do in the open, but certainly can get away with in the tent.

OK, women,children and disabled aside......
To each his own, you can use one if ya want, but don`t brag to me about what you did.

I guess what it comes down to is how bad ya want to kill a turkey.
"Old School Elitist"

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion