Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tracebusta32

RE: Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Postby tracebusta32 » February 10th, 2009, 10:59 am

natural built blinds are illegal in PA?

So if you are hiding behind some limbs and brush you moved near a tree you would be hunting illegally?

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 11:10 am

[font=timesnewromanps-boldmt][font=timesnewromanps-boldmt][size=150][left]Regulations:[/left][/size][font=timesnewromanpsmt][font=timesnewromanpsmt][size=85][left]In both spring and fall seasons, it is unlawful to possess or use live turkeys[/left][left]as decoys, or to drive or use electronic callers or devices. Dogs can[/left][left]be used to hunt turkeys during the fall season but not during the spring.[/left][/size][font=timesnewromanps-boldmt][font=timesnewromanps-boldmt][size=85][left]Blinds: [/size][font=timesnewromanpsmt][font=timesnewromanpsmt][size=85]The use of turkey blinds is legal under the following definition:[/left][left]Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all man-made[/left][left]materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within[/left][left]the blind from an observer outside the blind. Artificial or manufactured[/left][left]turkey blinds consisting of all man-made materials means blinds must be[/left][left]constructed of plastic, nylon, canvas, cotton cloth, plywood or other manmade[/left][left]materials. Blinds made by piling rocks, logs, branches, etc. are[/left][left]unlawful. The blind must completely enclose the hunter on all four sides[/left][left]and from above to block the detection of movement within the blind.[/left][left]When fluorescent orange is required at a stationary calling location in[/left][left]fall seasons, at least 100 square inches must be displayed outside the[/left]blind and within 15 feet of the blind, visible 360 degrees.
[/size]
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 11:14 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

I hunted one season on crutches with a cracked femur head...killed seven that spring without the use of a blind.
I used to work with a guy that rolled his dad out on a ridge in a camo wheel chair and left him....(both his legs had been cut off by a train)...the guy still killed turkeys without the use of a blind.
I hunted in Missouri one spring with a group of Gamewardens...when I got to where they were camped they informed me they had a log blind built for me on some ridge top..
I skipped out on them. Not bragging but I was the only guy in that group that killed a turkey in Missouri.
Enclosed blinds are the scurge of Turkey  Hunting.....just watch the TV shows...makes me want to puke.

If you were able to hunt that hard maybe you should have been working...Let me guess..The injury prevented you from it...
turkeykiller

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 10th, 2009, 12:05 pm

StevePA
Thats law seems odd to me. You can have a blind made from man made material but not one made from natural materials, just wondered if you knew there logic behind it?
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 12:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Ozarks Hillbilly

StevePA
Thats law seems odd to me. You can have a blind made from man made material but not one made from natural materials, just wondered if you knew there logic behind it?

Safety logic...We have 260,000 plus turkey hunters here...They want you totally concealed to hide movement so no one shoots you...natural blinds only break up your outline...hence man made materials...
turkeykiller

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 10th, 2009, 12:35 pm

StevePA
Makes since from that stand point. I will never understand how one hunter could ever mistake another hunter for a Turkey or a Deer.

These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 10th, 2009, 12:38 pm

First what anyone wants to use, that is their choice and fine by me.

I agree with not using one, even taking my grandaughter out the last couple of years we sat out in the open. Unless its a disabled hunter, i.e. wheelchair bound etc. Even the wounded warriors that were missing a leg, arm or what ever wanted to not set up in a blind that I took out on Quantico, we just set up next to a tree. The only movement was when one man's leg that was blow off above the knee the metal attachments became to cold for him to sit still and he had to take his leg off to cover the attachment with a large type sock. It was cold that spring day about 38. No bird for him that day but the next day he got a nice one. One of the disabled vets at the check station breakfast we had for them prior to the hunt, was asked if he wanted to hunt from a blind. He said, although I am on crutches and may be a little uncomfortable I want to get the full enjoyment out of a bird coming in and seeing what life around me in the woods was all about. ( a couple others wanted to hunt from a blind) I did not take him but he got a nice bird that day. When I met him back at the check station, he said that was the most enjoyable thing that he had ever been a part of. (his first turkey) He was so pumped he did not want to go back to Bethesda Hospital. He came back down this past fall I heard and got a deer. He was due to go back home to Texas this past December. I will miss him and the others, but unfortunately there are others now to take their place.

I feel kinda like that man and to be in a blind would be restricting my enjoyment of other things going on around me.

So you can see we all, no matter what different perspective we have on our hunting styles and what one does or uses is and individual choice and reason.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 10th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I have a pop-up blind but never used it. I always thought it would be a pain in the butt carrying it around so I leave it home.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 10th, 2009, 5:37 pm

I bought one this past fall after deer season.  My son and I hunt State F&W areas on draw hunts.  Two rainy days can really mess up your season.  I am not that dedicated that I use all my vacation time for turkey hunting and I want to make the most of it.  Most of the time if I want concealment I just clip some saplings and arrange them in front of me.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 10th, 2009, 5:53 pm

I have an umbrella too.  Use it in deer season quite a bit.  Works good when you can stand and no wind.  Went from 4 weeks vacation to 1last year.  I am still adjusting.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion