Jobs and turkey hunting...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

Jobs and turkey hunting...

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 10:54 am

Ive spent my life killin' turkeys before work...in less than an hour...I know whole heartedly that without a job or having to work during those times...I could have killed turkeys by the dozens...anywhere I went...Funny how if you dont hunt all over how some folks look down on ya...and dont think much of ya as a turkey hunter...
turkeykiller

mark hay

RE: Jobs and turkey hunting...

Postby mark hay » February 10th, 2009, 11:54 am

it's like being tied to a couple of horses that determined to go to different barns. roughest time of the year for me . i generelly take some time off work to hunt the birds. that time goes too fast and the days at work , during season , seem to crawl by .
i ain't never hunted anywhere but ohio , and only 3 counties at that , 1972 being the first time. not that i wouldn't mind going somewhere else to hunt, it just seems that there is never enough extra cash for such things .

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 10th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Those hunt and work days are just about a thing of the past since they've moved up daylight savings time.  Oh, well, at least the golfers can get in a few more holes.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm

I always take the first two weeks off vacation then 2 days off during the week the rest of the season. That's enough for me. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Work and turkey hunting lets not go there. [:@][:@][:@]

Can't say to much, they do work with me for time off. Except they changed the outages to April time frame and no one is allowed vacation during an outage. [:@][:@][:@][:(][:(][:(]

2 years 8 months and 23 days till the blessed day of no bosses. (well except the wife) [:D]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 10th, 2009, 1:02 pm

i take vacation, 'bout 8/9 days this year

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 11th, 2009, 4:11 am

Ive been blessed to be S/E for the last 15 years, so I usually hunt until I actually look forward to it ending
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 11th, 2009, 5:47 am

I'm blessed with a great job where I work a 12 hour swing. That amounts to 7 day and 7 night shifts out of a 28 day rotation. I take 4 weeks off during late March and April which usually includes all my day shifts. I also hunt after my night shifts most days before I go to bed. That usually amounts to 30 to 35 days of at least a quick morning hunt. I must say, however, that does not translate into filling all my Ala and Tenn tags. I somehow manage to screw that up most every year.[;)]
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 11th, 2009, 5:51 am

Job I had before I would take the afternoon shift during Spring. In Pa you can only hunt till noon so it worked out pretty well for me. I've always wanted to hunt in other staes but like stated before, money and time just don't make that possible.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 11th, 2009, 10:23 am

It's funny how we each perceive our situations.  I would love to live in a location where I could hunt gobblers every morning during the season, even if it was just for an hour.  As it is, the nearest huntable turkey population to where I live is an hour and a half drive, at a minimum.  I get to go hunt turkeys on weekends, along with a few thousand other folks that are in the woods at that time, or I have to take off from work to go.  That's just the way it is here, and I am used to it.  Is it more challenging to kill a turkey under those conditions than it is to kill one by hunting a hour every, or most, mornings of the season?  Heck, I don't know, I've never had that "luxury". 

I am also of very modest means financially, but I love spring gobbler hunting enough that I forego other "pleasantries" every year, and use my hard-earned dollars and time off from work to travel to a couple of other nearby states to hunt each spring.  I find it very rewarding to go to unfamiliar areas with other subspecies of wild turkeys to pit my skills against the birds there.  Sometimes I kill a gobbler or two, and sometimes I return home skunked.  Sometimes the hunts are amazingly easy, and sometimes they are incredibly difficult...regardless of the subspecies or the location. 

Jim

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion