How deep and how steep...???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

RE: How deep and how steep...???

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 4:09 am

Good respone tracebusta32! Nice bit of information. Did the research note aboth freezing rain? I know a few years ago we had a bad couple days where we had freezing rain and one group of birds that roosted near the house of one of the guys I worked with actually froze in the roost! At least there wings did. When they hit the ground, because their wings were froze up they got nailed by coyotes. I was just wondering if that kind of thing was common in other parts of the country?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 17th, 2009, 4:16 am

Nothing more than rain was the biggest threat to a turkey
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » February 17th, 2009, 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

Snowfall affects wild turkeys by limiting their movements and blocking their access to food sources. During such severe conditions, turkeys may be lost to starvation. Weakened birds are also more susceptible to predation. However, if food is available, turkeys can withstand very cold temperatures. Wild turkeys in good condition can usually survive up to 2 weeks before a significant number die. 

The effect of snow includes not only the snow's depth, and the length of time it is on the ground, but also its condition. Fluffy powdered snow is more limiting to turkeys than crusted snow. Although turkeys cannot dig through snow deeper than about 6 inches, they also cannot walk any distance through snow deeper than 1 foot. If powdery snow prevails, turkeys may remain on the roost until it crusts or melts, but, with crusted snow, they may be able to walk to above-ground food sources.

[;)] OK.....good info! We have had a significant snowfall the past two years ( even for this part of Colorado) and it it very powdery. This makes for pretty easy identification and tracking, but when it melts on the surface, it does crust over a little which gives them better footing and also makes them less detectable. I have come across several areas where the snow has melted down to around an inch or two in depth, and have found this to be prime areas for feeding. Of course these areas are more in open terrain instead of under the cover of trees etc because there is still significant snow buildup under them.
  I also agree with you Trace that turkey may not get their due as far as being considered environementally tough. Thanks for the replies!!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion