Good Article

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkynut54

RE: Good Article

Postby trkynut54 » February 17th, 2009, 4:32 pm

I think the best time to hunt gobblers is after a rainstorm. One year I was working the graveyard shift. It was raining all night long and when I left work that morning to go hunting it was still raining. When I got to the place I wanted to hunt it quit. To make a long story short I killed a gobbler 45 minutes later.

Another time it was raining all night. When I got to where I wanted to go it was still raining. I sat in my truck until it quit. It was just breaking daylight when it it did quit. I hurried to my spot and got set up. It wasn't until full daylight that I heard him gobble, but he never flew down until a half hour later. I called to him several times and then quit. I spied him down at the end of the logging road strutting. I called several more times then quit al together. An hour later he came up through some pretty thick brush, looked around then left. I never did get him.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » February 17th, 2009, 5:09 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

Exactly...

Truth is the best time to hunt gobblers is when the season is open and you can go....and for the chosen few biOlogists that 'think' they can figure them out...good luck.

As it should be every day in the turkey woods is a new day.

I agree with that completely. I see turkey do new things all the time. Every hunt is an experience, win or lose.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 4:26 am

T.R. Michaels is the author of that article I don't know why tracebuster wants to keep it so secret.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 4:33 am

I wasn't keeping it a secret, I just haven't had time...you see I have this group of jakes and timmys that keep me busy

BTW there is some gobblin goin on over there in another post bout some decoys....go get um pooch [:D]
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 18th, 2009, 5:16 am

I am with TC the best time to hunt is when season is open and you have a chance to go. Turkeys will be out there doing what turkeys do if it's sunny or raining or snowing if its calm or the wind is gusting over 40 mph. I am going no matter what the weather conditions are life and the season is to short not to.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 18th, 2009, 5:29 am

> Turkeys will be out there doing what turkeys do if it's sunny or raining or snowing if its calm or the wind is gusting over 40 mph. <

Yep. In the words of the immortal Ray Eye (whom I'm sure you are familiar with) -

"They're just out there bein' turkeys..."

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion