scouting/roosting trees

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Hoosiernavy

scouting/roosting trees

Postby Hoosiernavy » February 19th, 2009, 4:45 am

Hey all, I am new to the forum and looking to expand my knowledge of turkey hunting, my knowledge currently is very limited since I only started turkey hunting last year and hooked bad now haha.

I am trying to figure out where and how to look for a roosting tree. I know and read that need to look for droppings and feathers and such but where should one look.
The area I hunt in Indiana, has a few ridges, should I look on the highest points or on the edges where the birds have easy access to sight and flying down unimpeaded.

Thanks for your help and look forward to posting here more.

StevePA

RE: scouting/roosting trees

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 4:52 am

Listening at daylight will cut down lots of time...or you can go in during late morning and early afternoon and look for droppings and feathers...You may even find scratchings nearby...Daylight is best...Listen for turkeys in the dark and then move in close...Get tucked up by a tree and listen...take note on which way they fly down(that can change daily though)...Once you feel they have moved off or can tell they have moved off...Creep into the area they gobbled from in the dark...Should be able to find which trees  now...
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 4:54 am

Gobblers may roost or strut in different areas. Go to the highest point of the tract of land your hunting and listen for them to gobble. If you do not hear gobblers, try a crow call, owl call, shock call or predator call in early morning or just before dark. Gobblers will often respond, giving away the location of their roosting sites.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

shaman

Postby shaman » February 19th, 2009, 7:45 am

ORIGINAL: Hoosiernavy

Hey all, I am new to the forum and looking to expand my knowledge of turkey hunting, my knowledge currently is very limited since I only started turkey hunting last year and hooked bad now haha.

I am trying to figure out where and how to look for a roosting tree. I know and read that need to look for droppings and feathers and such but where should one look.
The area I hunt in Indiana, has a few ridges, should I look on the highest points or on the edges where the birds have easy access to sight and flying down unimpeaded.

Thanks for your help and look forward to posting here more.

You've gotten good advice so far.  Getting out and scouting at daybreak will be the best way to master finding roosts.  After you've found a few, you'll be able to recognize likely sites from a ways off.  In my woods the most likely spots for a roost are in the bottoms of gullies and creeks, and along the sides of ridges.  Wherever they roost, they seem to like the idea that they have the tree  next to steep ground where they don't have to fly up as much as out to get to the limb.  Being next to some sort of standing or running water also seems to be a plus. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion