Turkey Hunting Safety Tips

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkaholic

RE: Turkey Hunting Safety Tips

Postby turkaholic » February 19th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Last spring my brother and I returned to a spot where we got into a bunch of birds the day before. We got in early and had a good plan of attack. We knew the exact trees to set on and set our decoys in place. Soon the gobbling started and we let out some soft stuff to let um know we were there. All of a sudden a blinking light appeared 30 yard in front of us. There was a guy in a tent blind right in front of us. There was no car at the parking area so we had no clue he was in there. He must have walked in very early and maybe was dropped off. Scared the crap out of us. We quietly crashed out of those woods and moved to another spot.
live to hunt hunt to live

shaman

Postby shaman » February 21st, 2009, 7:18 am

ORIGINAL: Ozarks Hillbilly

To me it all boils down to identifying your target and whats beyond it before you pull the trigger. In Missouri for the last several years they require a orange "be safe" sticker be placed on your gun that is visible when you sight down it. It just serves as a small reminder, I am sure your States have similar things in place. 

Actually, we don't, and I don't know of any states around that do.  It's a heck of a good idea though.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » February 21st, 2009, 7:33 am

I must admit that I'm guilty as charged for stalking............

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 21st, 2009, 10:18 am

Lots of good tips here, good reminders for experienced hunters as well as new ones.
"Old School Elitist"

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion