"Old School"

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
greyghost

RE: "Old School"

Postby greyghost » February 19th, 2009, 6:24 pm

ORIGINAL: Timber Chicken

Today is my first day in this forum. I have hunted a long time and i have called in alot of birds alot of different ways.That's because no two hunts or two birds are exactly the same. I learned today turkey hunting is a very seperated sport on alot of issues. For example i never knew decoys were considered "unethical".

So I guess the "OLD SCHOOL" people that think Decoys are unethical have never put a hunter that they were calling a bird up for 50 yards in front of them so when the turkey hung up he would be in range? 
What's the difference? 

Here we go, no one that I know has said it was unethical to use decoys, only you used the term here.

So the last part of your post is a guess, assumption, you are assuming. You know where that leads to.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 19th, 2009, 6:28 pm

ORIGINAL: Timber Chicken

The reason i used that as an example is because that is how i was taught to hunt by one of the best turkey hunters in my area. he was definetly old school. you know as well as i 10 yards can make you or break you.

Then you also know 50 yards can make you or break you. Or did I mis understand you? I assume (uh oh) you prefer the 50 yards difference between you and the shooter?

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 20th, 2009, 4:24 am

Being a part of this forum for a few years now I think it's safe to say that if you dig deep enough you will find on here where someone is calling decoy use unethical so GG the poster may have read it someone one here....
As for me I don't use a decoy but I don't think its unethical I just don't like to carry one around with my style of hunting, now if I owned one of those real mounted hens I would  prolly use it a few times a year.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 20th, 2009, 4:32 am

> any day with turkeys around you is the best school <

Yep.

In the turkey woods, there is no graduation day.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 20th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Fan Club your right, in the end, turkeys are the best teachers [;)]
"Old School Elitist"

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 20th, 2009, 1:39 pm

old school ? i prefer it . it is the type of hunting that i never tire from. if i live long enough and am physically able i'll be using a front loader and dark colored wool coat . i can't get there soon enough to suit me . every year i'm going farther back ,,, away from the majority of things we've seen in the last 20 years.
DECOYS ! WHY?

'' OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS ''

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 20th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Why decoys you ask mark?  Because I have seen a some Toms and a jake mount one more than once, that's why!  You ever see that?  If you did, maybe you'd be sold on them as I was and still am, to some extent.  If it gives me that added "seal the deal" edge and it's legal, why the hell not I say.  There are occasions that I will not take one with me however.  If I don't feel the situation is in need of one or I think it is the wrong setup for one I will leave it in the truck.  But, I have shot turkey's over them before and I have had blown opportunities with using them before as well, so it's a coin flip I guess.  One of my best turkey's to date was dooped by a decoy.  I just asked him on the wall if he liked it before he ate those #5's and he said,  "dude, it just felt right when I saw her, stupid me, I get so worked up sometimes.  Oh whel, pass me a cheese curd would you?"

Secondly, I usually never put a hunter that I'm calling for more than 20-25 yards in front of me.  Not sure why mostly, just like to keep within contact range I guess, while still being able to give the hunter a little added extra yardage to work with on a bird that is hanging on the edge of one's range.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 20th, 2009, 2:18 pm

i've been set up behind decoys before,,,,even killled a few birds . it just ain't got the same satisfying results ,,, for me. sure i began the DOOPING when i had the fakes out ,,,but when the birds arrived their dooping took a different avenue .
not everyone wants to hunt the way i do ,,,and that is fine by me .
i obey the hunting laws , as well as my own set of laws ,,,,i must be the one that DOOPED ol' tom. if i don't kill him for any number of reasons , it's my fault and i'll gladly admit it to anyone.
now i do enjoy a good turkey fight and get a charge out of seeing those ol' birds beat up WILL PRIMOS' decoy in the videos, but from where i sit , that ain't hunting turkeys . wouldn't mind shooting some with a camera though .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 20th, 2009, 3:56 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> any day with turkeys around you is the best school <

Yep.

In the turkey woods, there is no graduation day.

All you can hope for is to go to next year's class without any of this year's tags. 
Luck Counts, good or bad

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » February 20th, 2009, 4:25 pm

To much made about nothin!! decoys or not new school old school?? I dont care if you hunt from a blind with a whole flock of decoys or you belly crawl through the grass with a fixed blade knive in your teeth.Its all about doing what we all love  to  do.The way i see it hunt the way you like there is no right or wrong when you walk up on that gobbler.Ive been huntin this tricksters since 1977 and i have yet to find a perfect plan any of you guys got one please like me know??      

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion