Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
sputterbug

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby sputterbug » February 20th, 2009, 6:25 am

I'll answer YES to the original question, based on this limited experience:

Last year, first time in the turkey woods armed with nothing but Internet folklore and info from a couple of turkey books, my brother and I were lucky enough to setup in the perfect spot.  Just before daylight at least 3 gobblers were going off very close.  I soft clucked and tree-yelped twice about 10 minutes apart before flydown. 

One gobbler left the roost and looped almost directly over our heads and dropped like a lead balloon into my jake & hen decoys 15 yards away.  I about peed myself.  Bro missed the shot but it sure was a great hunt.  Granted, that's limited calling but a rookie like me can do it scratching a slate call.

On the other hand, here's another scenario from a day later:

Glassed a strutter in a cornfield near the point where the woods jutted out into the field.  Watched him and his hens for about 20 minutes, this is around 7:00 AM one morning.  After they left the large field at the opposite end, I followed the section of woods from the point back into the woods about 250 yards along a couple of deer paths to a small pond and nice looking oaks where I thought they may have roosted.

Next morning, I'm set up just off the point with my decoys about 15 yards into the field.  Sure enough, about 7:15 here he comes into the field with his hens.  I swear they must have passed behind me less than 20 yards away along the path.  Did I ambush him or use good woodsmanship?  I truly don't know.

He strutted for a half hour and I pulled the hens to within 30 yards but there was a bush in my way just to my right and he was out of range anyhow.  I know my crappy calling wasn't helping, so maybe a pr0 would have pulled this off... or maybe not.  After half hour they went over the large rise in the field and I desperately tried to call them back. 

Doing it over I probably would not have used the decoys and played more hide n seek, or else set up facing into the woods looking down those 2 deer paths.

Any constructive criticism to further my education is welcome.  You can even flame me or fire some insults if necessary... only because those experiences were so cool that I doubt you can detract from it.  Turkey hunting is just plain fun  [8D]

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 20th, 2009, 6:39 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: sputterbug

I'll answer YES to the original question, based on this limited experience:

>Last year, first time in the turkey woods armed with nothing but Internet folklore <

[:D][:D] What a great response, sounds like you are a very fast observer and learner with the rest of your stories that followed. Congratulations on a great season and the best in the upcoming season. Will look deeper into your stories but got to run for now and maybe give some internet folklore feedback.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 20th, 2009, 6:50 am

sputterbug, the turkeys will teach you more than you will ever learn on here and it looks like you have already figured that out.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 20th, 2009, 7:26 am

Sputterbug
TB32 has already hit on this the turkeys are the teacher and we are the students. Just remember patience and perseverance and there are no absolutes. What worked or didn't work yesterday may or may not work today. It's all just a big learning curve and it sounds to me like your well on your way to getting schooled.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 20th, 2009, 8:06 am

So it's cold comfort and lessons in humility?  LOL, I can accept that.  I compare turkey hunting to muskie fishing and Texas Hold 'Em... I can eventually acquire a set of skills that can be used to put me in the right situation at the right time more often, but some factors are beyond my control.

I've definitely been schooled and fooled.  Do they make a dunce hat in camo?

shaman

Postby shaman » February 20th, 2009, 9:03 am

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

It amazes me how Gobblers can zero in on your location after only one series of calls made 30 to 40 minutes before they come to them. 

Jim

I'm probably just splitting hairs here, but try this idea on for size:   I theorize that turkeys zero in on the most likely position rather than the exact location.  Let's say you set up at a likely spot, a peninsula of oaks jutting out into a fallow field.  You call. The gobbler walks on your call and flys on over and lands within a few yards.

Did he have super-directional hearing that pinpointed you to within a meter?  I don't think so.  I think you decided to set up in a likely spot, and the turkey took that sound and roughly triangulated it in his head and then compared it to his  internal map.  The most likely spot that sound was coming from would be . . . lessee. . . hmmm. the penninsula???  Off he goes.  My reason for making this distinction  is that I believe you need to be in a somewhat likely spot to begin with.  A tree call  and a flydown cackle from the middle of an open field is not going to cut it.   

I also think that gobblers do some basic reality checking before they come pitching in as well.  If there was no flock of hens there at fly-up last night, you'll have a harder time convincing the gob that there is one there in the morning.  The most successfuly flydown setups I've had have included bumping a hen or two out of tree in the dark on the way in.  In fact, I always count myself blessed if I can bumble on hens. I figure they did 90% of the selling the night before.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 20th, 2009, 9:48 am

sputterbug, great stories and its already been stated you are on your way and that the turkeys will teach you all you need to know.[;)] Looking forward to more of your stories soon.

Sorry, I have had dibs on the dunce hat for years.[:o]

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 20th, 2009, 11:53 am

Using a deke and then saying that calling is over rated is redundant...No crap the calling didnt matter...He saw what he was looking for...duh..
turkeykiller

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 20th, 2009, 11:54 am

good calling ahhhh yes comes with alot of practice .....woodsmanship.....comes with alot of experience......put em both together and well.....bad news for the turkeys....sounds like a good recipe....i seen some good callers have a bad season...i think their putting on a seminar for the turkeys .....i have to say one hand washes the other ....good calling and good woodsmanship[:D]

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » February 20th, 2009, 12:05 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Using a deke and then saying that calling is over rated is redundant...No crap the calling didnt matter...He saw what he was looking for...duh..

My bad, I thought they were both just tools to do the job.  I'm sure you're familiar with tools.  Thanks for setting me str8.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion