Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
J Hook Max

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby J Hook Max » February 19th, 2009, 1:24 pm

I agree that woodsmanship,patience and knowledge of the land is very important.Good calling an the ability to sit still are just as important.Your best chance of calling in most gobblers is to get them excited.The better you are at calling and know when to call and which call to make, the easier it is to excite them.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 19th, 2009, 2:09 pm

> I know from personal experience that the better one learns to call the more turkeys he will bag...Any thoughts? <

Well, that's a given but it's only part of a bigger picture and calling as a whole is overrated, especially by call companies and video makers. On the other hand, woodsmanship is usually underrated.

I shall quote Brian Lovett's article "Ground Game" from the T&TH winter 2007 issue, which I happen to agree with-

"It's been said a thousand times but it bears repeating: A poor caller who's familiar with his hunting area and turkey movement there will kill more gobblers than a great caller on unfamiliar turf. If you pitted a world-champion caller against a farm kid on land with which the kid was familiar, the smart money would be on the youngster to tote a gobbler back to the barn."

Having said that, a great caller on familiar ground is a deadly combination.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2009, 2:25 pm

HI FAN CLUB

I agree with this statement also however If you paired this farm kid up to a good woodsman who was proficient with a call within two days the kid would be eating peanut butter crackers.

TB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 2:38 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> I know from personal experience that the better one learns to call the more turkeys he will bag...Any thoughts? <

Well, that's a given but it's only part of a bigger picture and calling as a whole is overrated, especially by call companies and video makers. On the other hand, woodsmanship is usually underrated.

I shall quote Brian Lovett's article "Ground Game" from the T&TH winter 2007 issue, which I happen to agree with-

"It's been said a thousand times but it bears repeating: A poor caller who's familiar with his hunting area and turkey movement there will kill more gobblers than a great caller on unfamiliar turf. If you pitted a world-champion caller against a farm kid on land with which the kid was familiar, the smart money would be on the youngster to tote a gobbler back to the barn."

Having said that, a great caller on familiar ground is a deadly combination.

Are we talking using bushwacking?....I was killing turkeys with calling long before I ever learned how to hunt them...
turkeykiller

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 19th, 2009, 4:01 pm

> You seem to excel at posting rhetorical questions and topics then chiming in later with The Truth.  Almost as if your insecurities are begging everyone to gather in quiet reverie and acknowledge your vast intellect.  Just a guess though... <

First of all, since Steve didn't acknowledge your post Sputterbug, I will. [:D]
You catch on fast for a noob, I like ya already.

> Are we talking bushwhacking? <

You tell me...

#1. The pro caller lays his best stuff on a gobbler that won't budge from the middle of large pasture. The kid knows that a creek runs behind the field so he uses the terrain and ditch to circle the bird and close within 100 yards. He then uses his "mediocre" calling to entice the strutter into shotgun range.

#2. The kid sees that the calling to the same bird is futile so he leaves the pro and heads for another smaller field that is a known mid-day strut zone. After a few "mediocre" clucks and purrs, a different gobbler shows up.

#3. It gets late in the morning and the pro is still trying to call to the hung up strutter. The kid is familiar with a known shady loafing area where the turkeys go when it gets warm (and the days lengthen) and goes there. The gobbler eventually tires of the continuous calling, heads the other direction and ends up at the loafing area. The kid kills him without ever making a call.

Are any of those a bushwhack? Most folks would call it repositioning and woodsmanship. One thing is for sure, they're all dead gobblers. Meanwhile, the pro-caller is back at the truck sticking toothpicks between the reeds of his Binford 2000 Tri-Max Widowmaker mumbling about tough turkeys.

tinker

Postby tinker » February 19th, 2009, 4:32 pm

No such thing as an uncallable bird? WOW! I wanna hunt there!!

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 19th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Knowing when not to call is what makes you a good caller
live to hunt hunt to live

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 4:38 pm

> You seem to excel at posting rhetorical questions and topics then chiming in later with The Truth.  Almost as if your insecurities are begging everyone to gather in quiet reverie and acknowledge your vast intellect.  Just a guess though... <

First of all, since Steve didn't acknowledge your post Sputterbug, I will. [:D]
You catch on fast for a noob, I like ya already.

> Are we talking bushwhacking? <

You tell me...

#1. The pro caller lays his best stuff on a gobbler that won't budge from the middle of large pasture. The kid knows that a creek runs behind the field so he uses the terrain and ditch to circle the bird and close within 100 yards. He then uses his "mediocre" calling to entice the strutter into shotgun range.

#2. The kid sees that the calling to the same bird is futile so he leaves the pro and heads for another smaller field that is a known mid-day strut zone. After a few "mediocre" clucks and purrs, a different gobbler shows up.

#3. It gets late in the morning and the pro is still trying to call to the hung up strutter. The kid is familiar with a known shady loafing area where the turkeys go when it gets warm (and the days lengthen) and goes there. The gobbler eventually tires of the continuous calling, heads the other direction and ends up at the loafing area. The kid kills him without ever making a call.

Are any of those a bushwhack? Most folks would call it repositioning and woodsmanship. One thing is for sure, they're all dead gobblers. Meanwhile, the pro-caller is back at the truck sticking toothpicks between the reeds of his Binford 2000 Tri-Max Widowmaker mumbling about tough turkeys.

Put them both on nuetral ground....The caller wins...
turkeykiller

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 19th, 2009, 4:58 pm

You didn't answer my question.

Are any of those a bushwhack?

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » February 19th, 2009, 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Put them both on nuetral ground....The caller wins...

It would be a push because neither would kill the birds in the examples because they were not responding to calls. 
Experience is the best teacher.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion