Calling...is it overrated?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
sputterbug

RE: Calling...is it overrated?

Postby sputterbug » February 19th, 2009, 7:42 am

Steve,

You seem to excel at posting rhetorical questions and topics then chiming in later with The Truth.  Almost as if your insecurities are begging everyone to gather in quiet reverie and acknowledge your vast intellect.  Just a guess though...

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 7:42 am

If you have not ran into an uncallable bird than there are a few factors that we must know about first off.

1: Is this your 1st or 2nd season hunting turkeys?
2: Are all the birds you have encountered so far jakes or 2 yr olds?
3: Do you hunt poultry farms?

Riddle me those first and then we will dig into the reason why you haven't ran into an uncallable bird.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 7:49 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

If you have not ran into an uncallable bird than there are a few factors that we must know about first off.

1: Is this your 1st or 2nd season hunting turkeys?
2: Are all the birds you have encountered so far jakes or 2 yr olds?
3: Do you hunt poultry farms?

Riddle me those first and then we will dig into the reason why you haven't ran into an uncallable bird.

No no and no
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 19th, 2009, 8:15 am

Ok then, first let's get on the same tract...Uncallable on a particular day is just a way of life in the turkey woods...

I read one time from Larry Norton who was a world champion caller that birds are uncallable sometimes at the beginning of a season when they are with hens, but just put those birds on the back burner and hit them up late season.

So maybe a bird is not uncallable for a whole season, but there are times that they are uncallable for days or even weeks at a time
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 19th, 2009, 8:28 am

Ok then, first let's get on the same tract...Uncallable on a particular day is just a way of life in the turkey woods...

I read one time from Larry Norton who was a world champion caller that birds are uncallable sometimes at the beginning of a season when they are with hens, but just put those birds on the back burner and hit them up late season.

So maybe a bird is not uncallable for a whole season, but there are times that they are uncallable for days or even weeks at a time

Agreed and thats only because I have to quit at noon...If we could hunt later I would say....no
turkeykiller

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 19th, 2009, 9:15 am

I think we can thank the commercail industry for the calling thing.  With videos showing guys calling to birds within 40 yards and the importance they seem to put to calling to make the video more exciting often sends the wrong message to many new hunters who only learn after a few seasons in the Turkey woods that sometimes NOT calling is the best idea. But it all depends on the bird your hunting. In my opinion Woodsmanship plays a BIG part in the success of things.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

shaman

Postby shaman » February 19th, 2009, 9:25 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

Agreed and thats only because I have to quit at noon...If we could hunt later I would say....no

Yep.  In KY, you're allowed to hunt past Noon.  It took a few years for me to figure out how afternoon hunting worked, but now I'm having a lot of luck in the PM.  Angus, when he was first learning to hunt, would go out with a box call in late afternoon and practice behind the house.  I had to stop him when I'd see all these gobblers-- sometimes 6 at a time coming towards the house from various directions. After that, I figured out that if the gobs are  not ready at sun-up, they can be ready around dinner time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2009, 9:45 am

Swpatrkyhunter

Ever notice the birds on the video's pecking the ground on the way in?
Thats why I don't watch video's.
TB

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 19th, 2009, 10:08 am

LOL! I never thought about that TB.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » February 19th, 2009, 10:43 am

Almost anyone can call in one turkey a year. you have to be a good caller and a good hunter to call them in consistantly.I think it is more important to know when to call.
Experience is the best teacher.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion