one call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grizzly

one call

Postby grizzly » February 23rd, 2009, 5:29 am

a friend and i were talking the other day about calls he said you have a lot of calls then he asked if you could take only one call with you what would it be and why i really had to think about it my answer was the lynch jet the reason why i've used the call for so long that i can make just about any type of hen sound i need i know it's not the loudest call i own or the raspest but i've always manged to call in turkeys with so i'm intested i you guys could only take just one call with what would it be and why

StevePA

RE: one call

Postby StevePA » February 23rd, 2009, 5:33 am

Mouth call.......It will reproduce every hen sound that there is...Hands down better than any other call...
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 6:01 am

A good slate is hard to beat
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 23rd, 2009, 6:07 am

If I was stuck with one call this spring it would be the trumpet cause I want to use it and kill some turkeys with one. My best choice would no doubt be a 3 reed diaphragms. Ghost cut in the fall, split v cutter in the spring.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 23rd, 2009, 6:19 am

A good box call, It can be loud for locating and in high wind or when you need to be loudmouthed and obnoxious. Or it can be soft and seductive when you need to be. 
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 7:08 am

I must agree with StevePA on this one.  I can make every call I know of with a mouth call, which is more than I can say for my slate, glass, box, or wingbone call.  With those I can make one or two sounds good, but with my mouthcall I can make all hen sounds and a gobble as well.  Granted, I may not for instance make a "yelp" as loud as a box call with my mouth call, but I would choose the mouth call for it's versatility.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 23rd, 2009, 7:11 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

A good slate is hard to beat

How do they work when its raining?
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 23rd, 2009, 7:23 am

When your in a fully enclosed blind they work fine....[;)]

BTW I was wondering if those mouth calls freeze to the roof of yer mouth with all that cold spring weather yall have?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 23rd, 2009, 8:30 am

All good callers usually make one call especially well.  Having said that, I carry about 4-5 different types of callers and I would hate to be without any of them.  If forced to choose only one, it would be my Morgan Caller.  With this caller, I can yelp loudly or softly, I can cluck loudly or softly, I can purr contentedly or with aggravation, I can cackle, I can cutt and although I used to be able to gobble well on the caller, I now can only gobble respectably because of arthritis in my dominant index finger.

As a deal closer, I prefer the wingbone, but I am not so versatile with the wingbone as with the Morgan Caller, hence the choice of the Morgan Caller.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 23rd, 2009, 8:36 am

t.c i agree whole heartaly with your statement i myself take no fewer than 4 calls but it was a qestion but to me so that was the answer i gave

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion