Ambushing spring turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dmcianfa

RE: Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby dmcianfa » February 24th, 2009, 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: StevePA

ORIGINAL: deja vu

Guys.......whatever you practice yourself......I am not going to argue with you about it.....but, please stop promoting unsafe hunting practices in print, I am a hunter safety instructor and we try hard to keep young hunters safe, and I sure hope they don`t see this kind of stuff in print and think it`s ok..... the number one safety rule for turkey hunters in our course is......

"Don't stalk. More than half of turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another"

And our state is not alone in this thought, from shamans topic about hunter safety from his states DNR.....

Don't Stalk - Do not stalk a turkey or turkey sounds or try to drive turkeys to another hunter. The chances of bagging a turkey by this method are slim, but the chances of becoming involved in a shooting are great.   Always call the turkey to you.

Again, whatever your opinion may be about your stalking skill, just think for a minute and ask yourself... what if someone who reads these internet forums is involved in an accident because of something they may have read here? 

I have to agree with you deja..kinda why I started this thread anyways..to get guys thinking..Stalking is asking for trouble,plain and simple...Its been a nice read so far and I can honestly say for the bushwackers...Its your own fault when someone dumps some lead in your head...and you and your family wont be getting any compassion from me....

Don't be ridiculous, whenever stalking a turkey I for one use a hunters orange vest and hat.  This is widely known throughout the woods and can be easily recognized and seen at long distances.  There are precautions one can take in the woods to not get shot during turkey season.  Doesn't mean stalking automatically dictates someone getting shot.  If your not safety minded enough to take the precautions of wearing hunters orange while roaming the woods during the season, well that just becomes darwinism at its best.  I hunt private property mostly, but still use it.  I rarely see other turkey hunters in the woods either in my demographic area on public land, this doesn't mean however one shouldn't use orange when walking the woods.  I am not promoting unsafe practice, just saying that you can stalk a turkey and be safe at the same time.  I never make male turkey sounds (gobbling, yelping, etc..) when stalking either.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 24th, 2009, 4:20 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

ORIGINAL: StevePA

ORIGINAL: deja vu

Guys.......whatever you practice yourself......I am not going to argue with you about it.....but, please stop promoting unsafe hunting practices in print, I am a hunter safety instructor and we try hard to keep young hunters safe, and I sure hope they don`t see this kind of stuff in print and think it`s ok..... the number one safety rule for turkey hunters in our course is......

"Don't stalk. More than half of turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another"

And our state is not alone in this thought, from shamans topic about hunter safety from his states DNR.....

Don't Stalk - Do not stalk a turkey or turkey sounds or try to drive turkeys to another hunter. The chances of bagging a turkey by this method are slim, but the chances of becoming involved in a shooting are great.   Always call the turkey to you.

Again, whatever your opinion may be about your stalking skill, just think for a minute and ask yourself... what if someone who reads these internet forums is involved in an accident because of something they may have read here? 

I have to agree with you deja..kinda why I started this thread anyways..to get guys thinking..Stalking is asking for trouble,plain and simple...Its been a nice read so far and I can honestly say for the bushwackers...Its your own fault when someone dumps some lead in your head...and you and your family wont be getting any compassion from me....

Don't be ridiculous, whenever stalking a turkey I for one use a hunters orange vest and hat.  This is widely known throughout the woods and can be easily recognized and seen at long distances.  There are precautions one can take in the woods to not get shot during turkey season.  Doesn't mean stalking automatically dictates someone getting shot.  If your not safety minded enough to take the precautions of wearing hunters orange while roaming the woods during the season, well that just becomes darwinism at its best.  I hunt private property mostly, but still use it.  I rarely see other turkey hunters in the woods either in my demographic area on public land, this doesn't mean however one shouldn't use orange when walking the woods.  I am not promoting unsafe practice, just saying that you can stalk a turkey and be safe at the same time.  I never make male turkey sounds (gobbling, yelping, etc..) when stalking either.

Having followed accidents quite heavily due to the fact that we were once required by law in PA to wear orange in spring turkey season....You get the BS Flag....
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 24th, 2009, 6:31 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Don't be ridiculous, whenever stalking a turkey I for one use a hunters orange vest and hat. 

You must be one heck of a stalker....orange vest and hat you say ?

Thats why the BS Flag was thrown...15 yd penalty...First down....
turkeykiller

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 24th, 2009, 8:30 am

I am one heck of a stalker.  Maybe some day I will show you how a truly versatile hunter hunts and how a stalk is put on if your man enough to try something different and not be so egocentric.  I learned to stalk them from a local native american friend, never be seen and carefully pick your point of attacks.  His ancestors taught him how to stalk turkey and deer and take each with a bow every year with this very method, but you wouldn't have respect for that would you guys. Then again, how would you know, you have your heads in the sand just calling all the time, never listening to anyone else's approach to the game including stalking, dog hunts or the like.  Stubborn and ignorant to the fact that there is more than one way to skin a cat in this world.   

No wonder folks are leaving this forum left and right for other more pleasant company.  You give this site a foul stench and critisize folks at every corner.  I would throw your behinds out of my camp the first night you would pull remarks like this.  I'm guessing either one of you have very little friends in any.  And if you did, I would bet my best rifle they would wait until you are out of earshot to tell me how they really feel about you.  I have had about enough of your destructive criticism here and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 9:00 am

jerks?nah just opinionated & not skeered to give there opinions...nothin wrong with that...those guys you say are movin to other forums will not be 1/2 as good of hunters as the ones here...the ones here are learning alot more than the fellers at old gobbler that give each other verbal hugs in their "love fest" daily...i dont care where you chat everyone aint gonna get along & shouldn't, thats life guys....so why is everyone whining when some one gives their opinion & the reader doesnt like it....man up people, voice your opinion & go on thats why its called a discusion forum...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 24th, 2009, 9:07 am

I started frequenting this forum a little over a year ago and it is ten times more informative now than it was then.  Yeah, a lot of people are opinionated, but most of those who are opinionated have years of experience to back up their opinions.  It is up to each person to decide how they choose to pursue this great bird, but one should not expect everyone to praise all tactics.  I can take a little ear burning so long as I am able to glean useful information from the site.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 9:17 am

true dat silvestris!![use profanity and this is what the rest of your post will look like]

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 24th, 2009, 10:11 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

I started frequenting this forum a little over a year ago and it is ten times more informative now than it was then.  Yeah, a lot of people are opinionated, but most of those who are opinionated have years of experience to back up their opinions.  It is up to each person to decide how they choose to pursue this great bird, but one should not expect everyone to praise all tactics.  I can take a little ear burning so long as I am able to glean useful information from the site.

I don't expect everyone to praise all tactics represented here on this forum.  I've always said to each his own.  But the constant belittling and badgering by the same constant posters is getting very, very old.  Some are certainly set in their ways, but opinionated and being all high and mighty with a sarcastic tone on just about every thing they post, are two very different things silvestris.  When people at other websites talk about certain posters and the constant negativity showing up on this forum being the reason they left, whel the reputation certainly preceedes itself in both the forum and those that persist to consistently bringing down others as a result.  It's pretty sad when that starts to happen to a message board.  The useful information you speak of is getting thinner by the day, mudded by "setup" threads and never ending insults by nothing more than internet "bullies".  I think I've said enough for one day, but I'll end with this.  Nobody I know wants to hunt with a jerk no matter what their knowledge base is, do you?

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 24th, 2009, 10:12 am

I love the fact that PA requires "hunting by calling only"..but even then there are guys doing it and guys getting shot in the process..Ive been stalked many many times in both the spring and in the fall...even had my kid with me at times...My thoughts and feelings will never change about this tactic....Its senseless and guys get killed doing it and also kill other hunters by doing it...
turkeykiller

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 24th, 2009, 10:27 am

profanity?? what did i write? if you dont want to post it send me a pm..thanx ...i reckon not then...if you are talkin bout the female dogs name i used,i didnt know it was considered profanity...i apologize if you or anyone else was offended

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion