Ambushing spring turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
StevePA

RE: Ambushing spring turkeys

Postby StevePA » February 22nd, 2009, 9:07 pm

That was bait....
turkeykiller

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 23rd, 2009, 4:22 am

As was that...

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 am

Keep it civil, please. No personal attacks or insinuation.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 23rd, 2009, 7:18 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I stalk turkeys every year, and I must say it is very difficult to get within shooting range of them.

ditto

Stalking is only part of the game, as is calling.  Does not being as proficient as others at calling in boss gobblers make you a pee poor hunter?  NO.  You may be a better caller, but a pee poor shot.  Does being a pee poor shot make you less of a turkey hunter?  NO.  It just means you may have to work on your shooting skills to bag more turkeys, just as the inproficient caller that may or may not stalk needs to work on his calling skills to possibly have more opportunities at bagging a bird and therefore add more to his repatour.  People, stalking any wild game is very difficult no matter the species.  If you think not, then I challenge anyone here to come show me the easy way to stalk them, without shooting them on the roost of course.  Is it "sporting"?  Apparently the state of Michigan and many others think it's o.k.  You forget they fall prey to other animals very often and must be on full alert at all times.  I've put the stalk on a bird more than once when they wouldn't respond to any calling of any sort, by me and the champion caller sitting ten yards next to me.  He nor I had any second thoughts about cutting that flock off on the next ridge and letting them come to us after stalking them.  Was that hunt "cheaponed" as a result of the stalk?  Not one bit, my heart was totally in the hunt and I did not feel any remorse as WE OUTSMARTED THAT BIRD.  Just because you cannot effectively stalk a bird or have the patience to put a stalk on one and harvest it doesn't make you any less of a hunter either.  Turkey hunting is turkey hunting is turkey hunting.  If it's legal, then I respect the law and don't look down on others for their methods.  As long as it remains in the legal realm, so be it.  However, I would not shoot a bird on the roost.  To me it takes the fun out of "hunting" them.  Is it wrong for a hunter to do so if he chooses.  Hell no, if it is legal in your state.  Laws give us our guidance as to what is right and wrong, that is their purpose.  If you don't agree with the laws of your land you live in be it state or national, then by all means move to a land that is more "agreeable in nature" to you, but don't chastise those that follow the laws of their land and say they are not real hunters.  They could do the same if suddenly calling was made illegal in states and everyone now had to stalk turkeys.  I highly doubt they would get down on anyone if they weren't as proficient as them in it, so lets save the insults for the anti-hunters huh?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 23rd, 2009, 1:13 pm

Guys.......whatever you practice yourself......I am not going to argue with you about it.....but, please stop promoting unsafe hunting practices in print, I am a hunter safety instructor and we try hard to keep young hunters safe, and I sure hope they don`t see this kind of stuff in print and think it`s ok..... the number one safety rule for turkey hunters in our course is......

"Don't stalk. More than half of turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another"

And our state is not alone in this thought, from shamans topic about hunter safety from his states DNR.....

Don't Stalk - Do not stalk a turkey or turkey sounds or try to drive turkeys to another hunter. The chances of bagging a turkey by this method are slim, but the chances of becoming involved in a shooting are great.   Always call the turkey to you.

Again, whatever your opinion may be about your stalking skill, just think for a minute and ask yourself... what if someone who reads these internet forums is involved in an accident because of something they may have read here? 
"Old School Elitist"

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 23rd, 2009, 3:26 pm

ORIGINAL: deja vu

Guys.......whatever you practice yourself......I am not going to argue with you about it.....but, please stop promoting unsafe hunting practices in print, I am a hunter safety instructor and we try hard to keep young hunters safe, and I sure hope they don`t see this kind of stuff in print and think it`s ok..... the number one safety rule for turkey hunters in our course is......

"Don't stalk. More than half of turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another"

And our state is not alone in this thought, from shamans topic about hunter safety from his states DNR.....

Don't Stalk - Do not stalk a turkey or turkey sounds or try to drive turkeys to another hunter. The chances of bagging a turkey by this method are slim, but the chances of becoming involved in a shooting are great.   Always call the turkey to you.

Again, whatever your opinion may be about your stalking skill, just think for a minute and ask yourself... what if someone who reads these internet forums is involved in an accident because of something they may have read here? 

I have to agree with you deja..kinda why I started this thread anyways..to get guys thinking..Stalking is asking for trouble,plain and simple...Its been a nice read so far and I can honestly say for the bushwackers...Its your own fault when someone dumps some lead in your head...and you and your family wont be getting any compassion from me....
turkeykiller

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 23rd, 2009, 5:26 pm

Who did I attack?

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 23rd, 2009, 6:12 pm

Right back atcha bud...I wouldn't p*ss on your head if your hair was on fire.  You didn't start this thread to "get people to thinking."  You started it because you're a fecal agitator.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 24th, 2009, 3:22 am

Magnumdood,

Just face it, these guys got bored with strokin' each other over at THMB for several years and came over here to stir things up. Some of them have 7,000 posts over there so I have to question how much time they've actually spent in the woods.

As "callmakers", they're against anything that supercedes a call, it doesn't suit their purpose. Just remember boys, what you post on the internet stays there for all to read unless you want to spend a week of your life going back and editing off color messages. Is that how you want to be remembered?

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 24th, 2009, 4:12 am

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

Right back atcha bud...I wouldn't p*ss on your head if your hair was on fire.  You didn't start this thread to "get people to thinking."  You started it because you're a fecal agitator.

Agitator...Seems you are the one constantly calling names and such...And its true..Bushwacking leads to deadly accidents and is simply and clearly unethical in every sense of the word...Knowing that folks on here would put their lives in danger(as well as others) shows me that they are not hunters or sportsman or outdoorsman in any sense of the word...PERIOD...Keep trying to dance around the fire son by attacking me...I could care less...and BTW...The real saying goes..." I wouldnt #$%^ in your mouth if it was on fire..."..
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion